Faxing from home

In my experience, anything needing security has always been done through a Docusign type program. If it does not require security, I take a photo of the document and email it. I can’t tell you the last time I needed to send a fax.

I agree. I have a very nice compact Canon flatbed scanner that will scan to a PDF. I can then attach it to an e-mail.

Faxes are not even encrypted. It's laughable to consider them secure.

I doubt many of these offices have thought out the security issues. Some require faxes, others accept PDF's or other images as email attachments, others have an upload feature on web portals for PDFs. The most sophisticated use Docusign. I suspect they are all looking for ways they can certify that they got a legit signature. Once they have found a solution that seems to work they stick with what they know. Those that stick with faxes get a lot of griping and eventually look into whether they can use one or more simpler method to get a signed document.

Before I retired, I had to fax something once and I used the fax at work.

In the 13 years since I retired, I had to fax something once so I took it over to the UPS store, half a block from my house. They were happy to fax it for me.

In my case, I really don't see the payoff in buying a device with fax capabilities.

I like my Brother "printer/scanner/copier/fax"

Don't use the fax often, but it does come in handy for FIL's medical stuff. Yeah, medical stuff. They must need a "paper trail" eh? Because of the lawyers?

Go figure.

Faxes are not even encrypted. It's laughable to consider them secure.

Yes, I really have no idea why fax was considered secure. Makes no sense to me. Especially back in the day of copper wire phone lines. Tap into that line, and you can snoop on all that unencrypted traffic.

I vaguely recall that back in the 1990's for some communications via fax, we need to have a secure fax room (limited physical access). I still don't think the transmission is very secure.

Most places are using the document upload approach, which is likely far, far better than fax. And more convenient.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Fill out the form and sign, fax it in. Like I said "paper trail"?

Yes, I really have no idea why fax was considered secure. Makes no sense to me. Especially back in the day of copper wire phone lines. Tap into that line, and you can snoop on all that unencrypted traffic.

I vaguely recall that back in the 1990's for some communications via fax, we need to have a secure fax room (limited physical access). I still don't think the transmission is very secure.

Most places are using the document upload approach, which is likely far, far better than fax. And more convenient.

-ERD50
If I'm remembering correctly it's not that it was ever considered secure instead a fax is accepted as the same as the original by regulatory bodies. When I was working around imaging technology that was the same way. The SEC said they wouldn't take action if you adhered to certain processes. People who were part of getting that accomplished knew not to poke around and just use what they had approved.

Email and texting are not secure forms of communication so the medical and legal fields still heavily depend on faxing.

That’s not the situation in the UK. Secure websites to communicate and to upload documents and secure databases are the norm. In 2016/17 we bought a house in England while living in the USA. I can access all my medical records, make appointments and order repeat prescriptions via a computer or an app on my phone.

My older laptop has a phone line connection. Connected it to my MagicJack that goes to the router and was able to fax.

That’s not the situation in the UK. Secure websites to communicate and to upload documents and secure databases are the norm. In 2016/17 we bought a house in England while living in the USA. I can access all my medical records, make appointments and order repeat prescriptions via a computer or an app on my phone.

It's (pretty much) the same in the US. My recent (US) home purchase and mortgage refi were all done through their secure databases, no faxing required. Same with my recent medical lab reports, etc.

It's just that there are a (very) few hold-outs that still are stuck in the old days of faxing. Fewer and fewer fortunately.

-ERD50

My fax machine got stepped by a Tyrannosaurus Rex, AGAIN! Very upset. But I'm in the same boat now.

Very common in medical field for security reasons. Also legal.

There are many modern ways to send secure information without reverting to 1960s technology. End to end encryption is commonplace and is more secure than any phone link, which travels over the same wires. Some business categories are just behind the times, like medical, legal, and insurance. Eventually they will drop faxes, but until then we have to work around them.

Email and texting are not secure forms of communication so the medical and legal fields still heavily depend on faxing.

This is generally true but there are secure apps to do just this. A quick search gave me https://www.enguard.com/ which is HIPPA compliant. I'm sure there are dozens more. The medical industry just needs to get with the program.

Back
Top Bottom