February in Mexico

FFC1964

Recycles dryer sheets
I have researched and researched and am super confused. We want to spend February in Mexico. Considering San Miguel but am leaning towards needing to be near water. I am not concerned about it being hot enough(I can't do high humidity) but am concerned about views, hiking, healthy food, friendly people and other expats to get to chat with. Safety is a concern as is accessibility. Would like to be within an hour or two of airport. I would like to not have to rent a car but will if necessary. We speak a tiny bit of Spanish. It would be nice to keep costs under 3000$ per month for a 2 bedroom.

Places we have researched.... San Carlos in Sonora, Puerta Vallarta, La Paz, San Jose los Cabos, Ensenada. I just keep getting more and more confused the more I research. If you could spend February in one of these places which would you pick? And why?

Thank you!!!

Pre covid we spent eight weeks in Mexico. It was supposed to be longer but covid cut it short.

We started in the Yucatan for a few weeks, including Merida. Then flew to Hualutco. We booked for three nights but expected to stay for ten days if we liked it. We left after three days. Not what we expected. We found that it was quite humid but that is not the reason we left.

We moved up the coast a little to Puerto Escondido. Much less humidity. Nice temperature. We found the same when we subsequently moved up the coast to
Acapulco, Zi/Ixtapa, and finally Puerto Vallarta.

We were in Huatulco in early Feb. Left PV on March 20. Weather was perfect for us in all locations.

We had a great time. Travelled by plane and bus. We never felt unsafe.

Our favorite place was Zihautanejo and Puerto Escondido. We also very much like Puerto Morales (south of Cancun). We have stayed there several times.

Last edited:
Then flew to Hualutco. We booked for three nights but expected to stay for ten days if we liked it. We left after three days. Not what we expected. We found that it was quite humid but that is not the reason we left.

Great report. We are frequent visitors to Mexico, Mexico City, Cancun (hotel zone & Riviera Maya), PDC, & PV.

Any further insight or experience you can share about Hualtulco? Are looking for new places to explore. Any favorites to recommend beyond those I’ve listed above?

Thanks.

We stayed in town. It was very pleasant. We joined another couple and had a boat tour for the day. That was very nice.

Nothing wrong with Huatulco. We just came to the conclusion that we had been there long enough so we moved on.

We are independent and fairly spontaneous travelers We booked for two nights in Puerto Escondido. Once there, we extended out time by a week. Exact same for ZI and Acapulco. We tend to only book for a few days in places we have never been. Sometimes we stay longer, sometimes not.

I must say that the bus service in Mexico is incredible. Comfortable, well maintained long distance buses with lots of room. You reserve your seats. We bussed from Cancun-Merida, Merida-Playa, Huatulco-P. Escondido, P. Escondido-Acapulco, Acapulco-Zi. There was never a time when we felt unsafe. Even when we went out for dinner in Acapulco after dark. We did a sunset cruise in Acapulco. Got off the boat, saw the local city bus and jumped on to get back to our hotel. No issue whatsoever.

The challenge in working our way up the coast was that most flights go to Mexico city first, then back to the coast. In many instances it was much easier, much faster, less expensive, and much more enjoyable to take the bus. Mexico City airport is less than appealing to us so much so that we wanted to avoid whenever possible.

In the past we have typically snowbirded in a similar fashion in SE Asia...Thailand, Viet Nam, Malaysia etc. Getting tired of the long flight (22 hrs or so) to get there so we thought we would do it in Mexico for a change. Have also done this in Costa Rica/Panama. All were great extended trips.

In the past we have done numerous AI visits to Yucatan and PV. We really enjoyed doing independent travel in Mexico and moving at our own pace. We plan to do it again. There are other places in Mexico that we want to see. The people are very friendly. As an aside, we were looking at stopping in Oaxaca but the transportaion options did not work out. We were five days in Merida and enjoyed that very much, including the local bus trip to Progresso for the day.

Last edited:
Been to Mexico City, Cancun, Acapulco, Tapalpa, San Miguel de Allende, Tequila, San Sebastien, San Pancho, Sayulita, San Blas, El Tuito, Yelapa, The Copper Canyon. All those areas offer unique benefits. No one can advise you because you don't know what you want until you have experienced this magnificent country.

Tomorrow we are heading for our condo in downtown PV for 6 months. We are considering moving there permanently so we can continue to experience all the other parts of the country during the summer months. Medical and drug plans are the major stumbling blocks.

But we have a 90 yo friend who moved there from Seattle with no coverage and his total expenses has been under $15000 for 25 years. And the COL is much lower than NOTB.

Don't have any insight to offer but we will be spending upcoming Feb in Mexico as well. Following!

Pre covid we spent eight weeks in Mexico. It was supposed to be longer but covid cut it short.

We started in the Yucatan for a few weeks, including Merida. Then flew to Hualutco. We booked for three nights but expected to stay for ten days if we liked it. We left after three days. Not what we expected. We found that it was quite humid but that is not the reason we left.

We moved up the coast a little to Puerto Escondido. Much less humidity. Nice temperature. We found the same when we subsequently moved up the coast to
Acapulco, Zi/Ixtapa, and finally Puerto Vallarta.

We were in Huatulco in early Feb. Left PV on March 20. Weather was perfect for us in all locations.

We had a great time. Travelled by plane and bus. We never felt unsafe.

Our favorite place was Zihautanejo and Puerto Escondido. We also very much like Puerto Morales (south of Cancun). We have stayed there several times.

I love Merida. It is a fascinating city in itself that's a great jumping off point for Mayan exploration as well as natural day trips, like Celestun.

I was in Mexico City in the early '70s, I'm sure times have changed, but I'm sure it is still a fantastic tourist city. You could spend a month there without running out of things to do.

we spent February this year in Cabo... we had a blast... the only down side was car rental... we booked the car on line and it was super cheap... then we landed at the Airport.. went to get the car and Avis told me the rent of the car is cheap but you are required to purchase insurance... the insurance was $1000 ... feeling ripped off but we still needed the car so we took it.... its amazing how a rental car can go over the roads meant for a dune buggy.... :-0 I think I got my money worth before we had to turn it in... The food in cabo is fantastic... I got hooked on Smoked Marlin Tacos and all the onion rings you can eat... and the Margaritas are a good size there too... San Jose is just down the road from Cabo... it was nice also..... and we got to stay at the Hotel California for one night and it was a cool little town to visit... we found a place in downtown Cabo that was $45/day and it included breakfast... so that was a great deal.. and walking distance to the marina where some of the great places to eat...

Tomorrow we are heading for our condo in downtown PV for 6 months.

Keith, we loved PV when we visited, how big is your condo? One of my struggles is how am I going to feel living in a small space after our current home.

I am also concerned about healthcare but there is no shortage of good medical care in PV.

We stayed in town. It was very pleasant. We joined another couple and had a boat tour for the day. That was very nice.

Nothing wrong with Huatulco. We just came to the conclusion that we had been there long enough so we moved on.

We are independent and fairly spontaneous travelers We booked for two nights in Puerto Escondido. Once there, we extended out time by a week. Exact same for ZI and Acapulco. We tend to only book for a few days in places we have never been. Sometimes we stay longer, sometimes not.

I must say that the bus service in Mexico is incredible. Comfortable, well maintained long distance buses with lots of room. You reserve your seats. We bussed from Cancun-Merida, Merida-Playa, Huatulco-P. Escondido, P. Escondido-Acapulco, Acapulco-Zi. There was never a time when we felt unsafe. Even when we went out for dinner in Acapulco after dark. We did a sunset cruise in Acapulco. Got off the boat, saw the local city bus and jumped on to get back to our hotel. No issue whatsoever.

The challenge in working our way up the coast was that most flights go to Mexico city first, then back to the coast. In many instances it was much easier, much faster, less expensive, and much more enjoyable to take the bus. Mexico City airport is less than appealing to us so much so that we wanted to avoid whenever possible.

In the past we have typically snowbirded in a similar fashion in SE Asia...Thailand, Viet Nam, Malaysia etc. Getting tired of the long flight (22 hrs or so) to get there so we thought we would do it in Mexico for a change. Have also done this in Costa Rica/Panama. All were great extended trips.

In the past we have done numerous AI visits to Yucatan and PV. We really enjoyed doing independent travel in Mexico and moving at our own pace. We plan to do it again. There are other places in Mexico that we want to see. The people are very friendly. As an aside, we were looking at stopping in Oaxaca but the transportaion options did not work out. We were five days in Merida and enjoyed that very much, including the local bus trip to Progresso for the day.

For those of you staying in Mexico for a few weeks or months and moving around, did you buy one-way tickets or round-trip tickets? If one-way, did you encounter or expect any problems?

We are going to Puerto Vallarta next month.

For those of you staying in Mexico for a few weeks or months and moving around, did you buy one-way tickets or round-trip tickets? If one-way, did you encounter or expect any problems?

We are going to Puerto Vallarta next month.

We bought one way tickets. We really had no idea when we would be returning nor did we know from where. Picked up a great fare to Cancun and a good fare home from PV when covid hit. We had planned to keep going slowly north up to coast to Mazatlan but never did make it.

Flights within Mexico from Cancun-Huatulco and Ixtapa-PV were considerably less expensive on Expedia than they were from the airline (Interjet) direct. We bought them 2-4 days prior to departure.

Lots to see for us in Mexico so I have no doubt that we will be doing an extended winter trip again at some point. One huge reason for this is the direct air connections with multiple carriers. Short 4.5-5 hr flight.

If we ever decide to rent in one spot for a few months (or even buy) it would be somewhere in PV and environs.

Last edited:
Loving all of these replies. For those of you knowledgeable about Puerta Vallarta....what neighborhoods to look for? or condo developments? I would really really love a view and a great area to walk in every day. Fresh, healthy food is also so important!

I have been to Puebla in the past. Loved the city but felt I needed more Spanish skills.

Thank you!!!! I know I need to get on making these accommodation reservations!

Yep, you had better get a move on regarding reservations. I just booked trips to PV for January and March and many of the most sought-after properties are booked. kcowen is our resident PV expert and I am sure that he will give sound advice. For walking around, excellent views, and healthy food, the south side is your best bet (Zona Romantica). It will be crowded in February, however; the most popular restaurants requiring reservations. You have basically two choices for views. Either a high-rise condo complex or a property on the hill side. Check with multiple reservation sites, you may get lucky.

We loved PV. We are also interested in Condo Complex recommendations. Our only issue is healthcare coverage while we are there.

Does anyone have any experience in San Carlos? I listened to a podcast regarding two retirees who live there 6 months of the year. It is in Sonora....my son tells me it is too dangerous to go there. UGH. The couple talked about the dolphins and amazing fish they see every day and as of now it is pretty nontouristy with quite a few expats? The expat part is enticing because I would like to make friends!

I have visited San Carlos. Its sister city Guaymas, has a significant crime problem. I never felt unsafe in San Carlos, but certainly never took any risks, stayed out late, wandered into sketchy areas. I love San Carlos over-all. The Sea of Cortez is gorgeous, COL is very inexpensive. No crowds or traffic. Can be chilly in the winter, however.

Is PV hot and humid? I can't handle humidity as I have Meniere's. UGH.

PV can be very hot and humid during the rainy season; June through October

I have researched and researched and am super confused. We want to spend February in Mexico. Considering San Miguel but am leaning towards needing to be near water. I am not concerned about it being hot enough(I can't do high humidity) but am concerned about views, hiking, healthy food, friendly people and other expats to get to chat with. Safety is a concern as is accessibility. Would like to be within an hour or two of airport. I would like to not have to rent a car but will if necessary. We speak a tiny bit of Spanish. It would be nice to keep costs under 3000$ per month for a 2 bedroom.

Places we have researched.... San Carlos in Sonora, Puerta Vallarta, La Paz, San Jose los Cabos, Ensenada. I just keep getting more and more confused the more I research. If you could spend February in one of these places which would you pick? And why?

Thank you!!!

Near water but not high humidity. That rules out almost all beach locations, and Merida. views, hiking, healthy food, friendly people and other expats to get to chat with. Safety / accessibility / within an hour or two of airport.

May I interest you in Ajijic?

Less than one hour taxi ride from Guadalajara airport. Largest freshwater lake in Mexico (Lake Chapala), surrounded by mountain peaks. Hiking groups twice a week. 20,000 expats in surrounding area all winter. Safe, accessible. It's our favorite place in Mexico. We have lived there three separate times, never owned or rented a vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 28
We have heard that, AJIJIC is not what it used to be. Rumours of a very polluted lake. What about healthcare. An hour is a long time when you need it?

Last edited:
I have heard there are issues in Lake Chapala as well....true or not?

We own a home in San Antonio Tlayacapan (adjacent to Ajijic), and stay there several months a year. Sometimes we drive our car down, sometimes we rent cars, sometimes we use taxis and walk everywhere. The pandemic caused upheaval Lakeside and here in the States, but things were fairly normal when I left in July. I'm flying back after Thanksgiving, and will be there until Spring. I haven't heard anything from my friends or neighbors about issues, outside of the ever increasing number of expats.

We lived in Mexico for ~5 years, mostly the Lake Chapala area with a stint in San Miguel de Allende and have spent extended time in many of the other places mentioned in this thread.

The particular combination of things on the OP's wish list aren't easy to find all in one place. The most culturally and culinarily rich places require at least a bit of Spanish and an interest in learning more to navigate (e.g. Oaxaca [the state as a whole and the City], Chiapas, Puebla, Michoacán). The best year-round weather is found at altitudes of around 5000-6500 feet and it's no accident that most of the population lives in such places - and that the main year-round expat havens (San Miguel de Allende and Lake Chapala) are at such elevations. But all of those places - especially San Miguel! - can be very chilly in February (remember there is no central heating or for that matter cooling). That's the time of year when even year-round expats head to the beach but of course it's also peak season for tourism so expect big crowds and high prices - unless, of course, you are more adventurous and have enough Spanish to negotiate getting food and lodging in pristine beach towns where gringos don't congregate.

I love the Oaxaca beach towns Brett mentioned but Puerto Escondido and Huatulco are too hot and humid for me even in January-February. Puerto Vallarta is a good 10+ degrees cooler and much less humid. "Hiking" there consists of doing steep urban walks for cardio, taking the bus down to Playa Conchas Chinas and walking the beach back to town (check the tide schedule first!) or taking the water taxi to Yelapa and hiking up to the waterfall (beautiful).

Re: Lake Chapala the water is actually quite clean and the lake is lovely. Ajijic proper is the epicenter of the gringo community but just a few kilometers down the road you can spend time in (or be based in) Chapala which has a much better balance of locals and expats - though I think the OP would prefer Ajijic. I've done a lot of hiking in the area and anyone considering doing so should come down equipped with trekking poles and grippy shoes and be comfortable on steep slopes covered in pea-size gravel and rocks, as well as being good with GPS and with enough Spanish to ask directions. That said, there are plenty of lovely village walks and just running or jogging on the malecons in Ajijic or Chapala may prove to be exercise enough. Gringo ideas of "healthy" food (e.g. vegan, vegetarian, smoothies, etc.) are easy to find (and pay through the nose for) in Ajijic but Jalisco's Mexico food is to Oaxaca or Puebla what Omaha's is to cutting-edge coastal cuisine in the U.S.

If you do decide to visit Lake Chapala you may find some value in a blog I did during our years there that covers the basics of local food and drink in the area. I last updated it a couple of years ago but know from friends that most of the places featured are still in business.

Eating Local at Lakeside

Important to keep close tabs on the COVID situation both on the ground and as it affects air travel. Mexico has low vaccination rates (and much of what little vaccination has happened are with Russian and Chinese vaccines the CDC doesn't recognize) and its medical facilities (even the deluxe ones that expats prefer) are strained to say the least. Full vaccinated travelers can get on a plane and fly back to the U.S. at the moment but you have to have a COVID test within 24 hours of getting on the plane (costs are all over the map but around US$30-50 at places like Soriana and Wal Mart supermarkets) - AND you have to quarantine in Mexico at your own expense for 2 weeks if your test comes back positive and then repeat the whole procedure before heading to the airport again. This only applies to air travel, not land border crossings, but the reality of the situation in Mexico is why we're postponing much wished-for Mexico travel until at least this time next year. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom