Fidelity 1099 now available

Received my preliminary today, final has now been pushed back to "on or before March 8". To say I am not happy with Fidelity right now is an understatement.

Received my preliminary today, final has now been pushed back to "on or before March 8". To say I am not happy with Fidelity right now is an understatement.

It's probably not Fidelity's fault, but rather that of one of your fund companies that has not reported their results to Fidelity.

Just got notified from Fidelity that I have a 'Corrected' 1099 available. It appears that under the 1099-DIV section (line 5), I had some Section 199A Dividends that was missed on the original 1099. Appears to have increased my refund by a few dollars. Glad I waited to file.

I too received a similar notice of a revised 1099. Looks like the 199A dividend amount increased slightly

A few weeks ago, Fido issued a corrected 099 form for my (snake-bit) friend, whose taxes I prepare. I hadn't filed his returns yet, and was several weeks from finalizing his returns (we just finished them up earlier this week) where he owes over $1,000 to the Feds and nearly $1,000 to the state.

He hadn't gotten a paper copy of the corrected form yet, so I saw it on line and entered the updated data into my spreadsheet and redid the affected tax forms, a minor nuisance but far less than it would have been had I filed them. Very little had changed because the changes involved the cost basis of one small mutual fund we had liquidated last year.

But I happened to notice that the corrected 1099 form did not include a few pages at the end titled "Supplemental Information" which, while it didn't include any corrected data from the original 1099 form, was no longer available on line nor would be included when Fido mailed it out. This meant I would have to keep this section from the earlier version and combine it with the corrected 1099 form in order to get all the data I would need to prepare his taxes. Furthermore, had I not obtained a printout of the earlier version or saved a copy of it (I did that, too), this helpful data would be pretty much unavailable.

I had an online chat with Fido to complain about this. I asked them why they would exclude the supplemental data from the corrected 1099 form AND overwrite the old form in their website. The online rep agreed with me but did tell me that the overwritten version could still be accessed by Fido reps, just not by the account holders themselves.

Pretty careless by Fido to make useful tax info disappear when they issue a corrected 1099 form, don't you think?

Back
Top Bottom