Finally getting my federal tax return, but...

mistermike40

Recycles dryer sheets
... it's for $1100 less that I expected. The IRS.gov message said they changed the amount claimed as "Recovery Rebate Credit" on my return, and listed four or five generic possible reasons... most related to dependents (I didn't claim anyone). The last reason was "the amount was computed incorrectly".

I used H&R Block, I believe they state they'll support me in instances like this. My question: is it even worth inquiring/challenging this? I won't even notice that amount "missing"... I guess I don't feel like going through the hassle of trying to recover something that I have about a 0% change of recovering.

Has anyone else received a similar message on their return?

When did you file? I submitted mine mid April, still "being processed".

Since you used tax software, this message usually means that the amount of recovery rebate money that you told it you received is less than the amount the IRS thinks it sent you. I don't think H&R Block will be able to help you with this, because it is not due to an error in their tax software. They did the calculation correctly based on whatever you entered.

Here's what you can do:
- create an account at IRS.gov, then login and look under tax records to see what the IRS says they sent you. (If your credit bureau accounts are frozen, you need to unfreeze while creating the account.)
- do the same for your spouse if you have one.
- check the amount you entered on the H&R Block software to see what you entered as to amounts received.

If you did not actually receive the amounts that the IRS says they sent you, then here's the info on how to trace the payments: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questi...ued-but-lost-stolen-destroyed-or-not-received

When did you file? I submitted mine mid April, still "being processed".

Mine was accepted on February 23rd. Prior to this weekend I had the "still being processed" message on IRS.gov

Since you used tax software, this message usually means that the amount of recovery rebate money that you told it you received is less than the amount the IRS thinks it sent you. I don't think H&R Block will be able to help you with this, because it is not due to an error in their tax software. They did the calculation correctly based on whatever you entered.

Here's what you can do:
- create an account at IRS.gov, then login and look under tax records to see what the IRS says they sent you. (If your credit bureau accounts are frozen, you need to unfreeze while creating the account.)
- do the same for your spouse if you have one.
- check the amount you entered on the H&R Block software to see what you entered as to amounts received.

If you did not actually receive the amounts that the IRS says they sent you, then here's the info on how to trace the payments: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questio...r-not-received

I haven't actually received anything from the IRS yet (other than an updated amount for my return, and the promise I should receive it by June 14th). Ah... I think you mean the stimulus checks. I know there was an issue, since some of the second round payments came after people had already filed their taxes. Thanks Cathy, I'll look into that.

[/url]

I don't want to hijack thread - but is it true you have to unfreeze to create irs.gov account ? Doesn't say anywhere in instructions.

I tried to create - it said couldn't verify - but didn't say why.

I don't want to hijack thread - but is it true you have to unfreeze to create irs.gov account ? Doesn't say anywhere in instructions.

I tried to create - it said couldn't verify - but didn't say why.

Back when I created my IRS account, I know it said you had to unfreeze, so I was going off that experience when I posted earlier. But I just looked again and the wording has changed. Now it just says there will be a soft inquiry on your credit report. Can they do that while your credit bureau accounts are frozen?

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/eauth/pub/es_avs.jsp
A soft inquiry will show up on your credit report to let you know that the IRS accessed your credit report information. This will not increase or decrease your credit score and lenders will not be able to see this.

Mine was accepted on February 23rd. Prior to this weekend I had the "still being processed" message on IRS.gov

I haven't actually received anything from the IRS yet (other than an updated amount for my return, and the promise I should receive it by June 14th). Ah... I think you mean the stimulus checks. I know there was an issue, since some of the second round payments came after people had already filed their taxes. Thanks Cathy, I'll look into that.

Yes, I meant that you should look into how much the IRS sent you for stimulus checks. That's on the "tax records" page in your IRS account. Compare that amount to the number you entered when the Block software asked how much you received in stimulus payments.

Ah, ok, so I'm still months out. So some time yet before I can answer you. [emoji41][emoji383]

Why do people still call their "refund" a "return" ?

You file a return.

You receive a refund.

Back when I created my IRS account, I know it said you had to unfreeze, so I was going off that experience when I posted earlier. But I just looked again and the wording has changed. Now it just says there will be a soft inquiry on your credit report. Can they do that while your credit bureau accounts are frozen?

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/eauth/pub/es_avs.jsp

When I set up my IRS account a few months ago, I didn't have to digging around to look for my PINs when I froze my credit. If they did some inquiry, albeit a "soft" one, it didn't require any extra effort on my part.

Setting up the account proved to be very informative. I had 3 pending items, 2 of which I had trouble getting info on - my 2019 return, my 2020 return, and the third stimulus check (that one I could get updates on without setting up an account). In late April and early May, the 2020 return was processed (I rolled over a small refund into 2021) and the third check got mailed out, received a few days later. A few weeks later, the 2019 return, mailed in back in March of 2020 (they cashed the check right away), finally got processed!

Took long enough, but they finally got caught up. :cool:

Why do people still call their "refund" a "return" ?

You file a return.

You receive a refund.

I don't think anyone "still" interchanges the two words. I realize they're not synonymous... I suppose in my depressed state from being out over a grand I mixed the terms up. My sincere apologies if that offended your sensibility.

I never had a chance to peruse all of my ramblings in this thread... are there any other nits that need to picked? Many thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom