FIRE-ees: any regrets?

No regrets, none period.

Sure I coulda done this and that differently, but it has, so far, worked out well. I am happy, busy and financialy doing well, LBYM works great. One day I will sell the farm and move somewhere else, maybe. Life is a mystery, an adventure, who knows what will happen next :D

Sooo glad I don't have to go to work anymore :D :D :D

Kitty

Billy, I hope you are not one of those caught with two homes then couldn't sell your old one for the bucks you needed for the new one. Although I regret not selling in the hot market, I also avoided disaster by a slim margin. I came within 24 hours of that nightmare, put an offer on a retirement home that cost about 100,000 more than I was looking for, but figured oh well, prices are going up and my old home is gaining value in a hot market. Long story short, my offer fell through when someone outbid me, just when my local home market hit the wall. Homes listed back then, a year or so ago, are still listed. I don't know what I would have done, thank goodness I dodged that bullet. Made me even more conservative with my retirement plans. From now on I'm not buying anything until I've sold what I have.

Billy, I hope you are not one of those caught with two homes then couldn't sell your old one for the bucks you needed for the new one.

Nope. We sold our place in the early 90's when we retired at age 38. We have since taken a different view to housing all together (see Worry-Free Housing http://retireearlylifestyle.com/a_a_communities.htm)

From now on I'm not buying anything until I've sold what I have.

Smart move! Lesson learned!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Interesting housing concept. Maybe I'll try working on my wife, this is probably a little easier than trying to convince her to live on a sailboat. Gave up on that idea.

I wished I'd have cashed in my Enron stock options instead of believing Ken Lay.

I guess I regret not learning investing even earlier and getting here faster with even more money. I knew the basics but didn't spend as much time on it as I should have while working.

SoonToRetire:
Interesting housing concept. Maybe I'll try working on my wife, this is probably a little easier than trying to convince her to live on a sailboat. Gave up on that idea.

Billy wanted to live on a sailboat. It's a great idea. Unfortunately, as life has it, I get terribly seasick, and to be honest, I am afraid of deep ocean water and the 'creepy' things that live there... all slimey and stuff. Not only that, but I could never figure out which way the wind was blowing.

He'd tell me to lick my finger and figure out which side was cold. That is where the wind is coming from.. Well, my whole finger was cold... I'm sorry. It's a personal failure. :p Billy was a bit heartbroken...

However, once Billy got the idea that RV's were really 'land yachts' with many of the same benefits and simple, high functionality, he was all game for it. Then we 'traded up' for a manufactured home in the Active Adult Communities I wrote about in the Worry Free Housing piece I mentioned previously.

We really do have the best of both worlds. A home with all the benefits, a turnkey situation, and we travel the world too.

Thanks for taking the time to view.
Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Back
Top Bottom