First year of retirement under our belts

Slowgowing

Dryer sheet wannabe
Greetings -

I found this site a while back and having just registered, am following the forum suggestion to introduce myself.

My wife and I retired in March 2020 after a 35 year career at the same firm. Although we didn't retire early in comparison to many of you (I'm 61 and my wife is 58), we felt financially comfortable in pulling the trigger.

We were certainly tired of our lengthy commute, and I was especially frustrated with changes in corporate structure and leadership. I enjoyed my management position for many years, but my BS meter was pegged full and I knew it was time to go.

Our first year of retirement went by surprisingly quickly. Given the pandemic, we delayed a number planned activities such as traveling but hope to put those back on our schedule in the near future.

Greetings -

I found this site a while back and having just registered, am following the forum suggestion to introduce myself.

My wife and I retired in March 2020 after a 35 year career at the same firm. Although we didn't retire early in comparison to many of you (I'm 61 and my wife is 58), we felt financially comfortable in pulling the trigger.

We were certainly tired of our lengthy commute, and I was especially frustrated with changes in corporate structure and leadership. I enjoyed my management position for many years, but my BS meter was pegged full and I knew it was time to go.

Our first year of retirement went by surprisingly quickly. Given the pandemic, we delayed a number planned activities such as traveling but hope to put those back on our schedule in the near future.

Congratulations! We are in the middle of our second year of retirement, and are just beginning to relax a bit (from the bit of a panic of switching to taking money out instead of bringing it in!) and enjoy it. I hope you are enjoying your retirement, too!

Welcome! How was your experience of retiring JUST as things were getting locked down? I'm pulling the plug later this year, and have thought many times that even if I could have done it a bit earlier, it was probably a good thing to have been busy during the pandemic...

Welcome! How was your experience of retiring JUST as things were getting locked down? I'm pulling the plug later this year, and have thought many times that even if I could have done it a bit earlier, it was probably a good thing to have been busy during the pandemic...

Ironically, our last official day at work was Friday, March 13 and I believe it was the following Monday when lock down started. Certainly not how we had envisioned starting our retirement.

Fortunately, the lock down started in spring allowing for some outdoor activities (golf, exercise, biking, yard work) to continue so we didn't feel completely out of sorts. I'm also a woodworker and I spent more time in my woodshop than usual.

Despite the unexpected lifestyle change due to the pandemic, we're glad to be retired (and I know we spent less money :LOL:) and looking foward to whatever is next.

Congrats and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the 1st year in spite of COVID. I will warn you, though...time sure doesn't slow down once you retire. I am nearing 7 years retired and it honestly only feels like a couple of years have gone by.

Congrats and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the 1st year in spite of COVID. I will warn you, though...time sure doesn't slow down once you retire. I am nearing 7 years retired and it honestly only feels like a couple of years have gone by.

X2
It really just gets better with time, just like good wine. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom