Free document for after your death instructions

Thanks for sharing! I had a 'death sheet' prepared, but obviously 38 pages is far more thorough than 1. :)

I'm retiring Thursday, so this will be on my list of things to do with all my leisure time.

When DF died last year one of the most useful things he left was a list of all his passwords. His list was a simple, unencrypted list; I'm sure there has to be a better, more secure way.

I certainly wish he'd left at least a short bio. He wasn't one to talk about himself, even when I tried to pry it out of him in his later years.

Thanks, I saved that one, and two others I found there. Couldn't find "Chapter 2" though.

This is going to be one of my winter projects; getting checklists like these completed.

I'd think one could do a lot better on their own, though maybe you'll be reminded of something you didn't think of. It's got all kinds of room for pets, past employers, schools, children's babysitters, hobbies, etc, etc, etc, and one small box for investments? Sounds like someone more interested in leaving a lengthy obit or eulogy rather than actually helping heirs find where all of your assets are.

Well, yeah, you want to create your own. These checklists help you think of things to include, but you'll have your own ideas, too.

For one thing, I'm always threatening to pick my own music for my funeral. First song: "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen. They go downhill from there. ;)

When DF died last year one of the most useful things he left was a list of all his passwords. His list was a simple, unencrypted list; I'm sure there has to be a better, more secure way.

I certainly wish he'd left at least a short bio. He wasn't one to talk about himself, even when I tried to pry it out of him in his later years.

DW and I both use password managers and keep our passwords in each other's vaults. I also include a note that has non-web passwords like the one for the encrypted volume that holds all our financial data.

I think this is so very important in this day.

Well, yeah, you want to create your own. These checklists help you think of things to include, but you'll have your own ideas, too.

For one thing, I'm always threatening to pick my own music for my funeral. First song: "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen. They go downhill from there. ;)

https://youtu.be/DEhqzOeJnto

One of the best systems I've seen for securely storing your "death book", in whatever form you may want it, is the Emergency Access feature of LastPass.

With the Emergency Access feature, you can give trusted family and friends access to your LastPass account in the event of an emergency or crisis. Your designated Emergency Access contact(s) can request access to your account and securely receive the passwords and notes without knowing your Master Password. You decide how much time should pass before they’re given access once they request it, and you can decline access if it’s requested unnecessarily.

One of these days I'm going to create a Word doc (or a simple text file) that lists every single account with all my user IDs & passwords and set it up in a LastPass vault with emergency access for my siblings and possibly a trusted niece or nephew. That way they'll be able to get into anything they might need within a short period of time if something happens to me.

Back
Top Bottom