Futbol (Soccer) Fans

candrew

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any futbol (soccer) fans willing to share their thoughts on today's World Cup qualifier between the USMNT and Mexico being played at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City?

After starting this final round of World Cup qualifying - aka "The Hex" - in lackluster manner and digging themselves a hole, the USMNT has rebounded with two wins and 6 points to claw their way back to 3rd place (top 3 automatically qualify for 2018 World Cup in Russia).

Both the U.S. & Mexico are coming into today's match on only 3 days rest. There may be no more difficult a venue for visiting teams than Azteca. It sits at over 7K feet in elevation and seats over 100K very vocal and very passionate fans.

Playing to a draw this evening and coming away with a single point would be a huge accomplishment for the U.S. IMO.

USMNT has looked better their last couple of games, but this one will be tough. Maybe Christian Pulisic can continue the great play he's shown in Europe recently and give them a spark?

Pulisic

Agreed regarding Pulisic - he remains in terrific form from his play in the Bundesliga. Of concern to the USMNT - who else will step forward this evening and provide a legitimate finishing threat in the final 1/3? You can bet that Pulisic will draw a great deal of attention from the Mexican side and will no doubt be fouled early, often and hard. Depending on who Arena decides to start up front, be it Altidore, Dempsey or Wood (likely a lone striker) needs to be able to hold the ball under pressure and provide some relief.

This current Mexico side is proving to be one of the best they've fielded in sometime.

Today's match should be an intense one!

Last edited:
Any futbol (soccer) fans willing to share their thoughts on today's World Cup qualifier between the USMNT and Mexico being played at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City?

After starting this final round of World Cup qualifying - aka "The Hex" - in lackluster manner and digging themselves a hole, the USMNT has rebounded with two wins and 6 points to claw their way back to 3rd place (top 3 automatically qualify for 2018 World Cup in Russia).

Both the U.S. & Mexico are coming into today's match on only 3 days rest. There may be no more difficult a venue for visiting teams than Azteca. It sits at over 7K feet in elevation and seats over 100K very vocal and very passionate fans.

Playing to a draw this evening and coming away with a single point would be a huge accomplishment for the U.S. IMO.

Agree, a draw would be a big accomplishment, but I'm not holding my breath. This is avery strong squad on home turf

The US team has done better under Arena but it will be a tough task to beat Mexico. I'm rooting hard for them to do it....Go USA

US has only scored five goals ever at La Azteca. One point would be huge. Three would be a damn miracle.

No doubt Mexico will have the advantage in possession tonight. That means the U.S. must take full advantage of every counter-attacking opportunity and not let those go to waste.

I haven't been watching the games lately .. but I'm excited about Pulisic .. although I'm wondering what happened with JUlian Green .. 4 years ago .. he was supposed to be our next star..

although I'm wondering what happened with JUlian Green .. 4 years ago .. he was supposed to be our next star..

Julian Green was not able to consistently crack the 1st team at Bayern Munich although he played relatively well when he did (1st American player to score a goal for Bayern). He went on loan for a brief while to Hamburg SV playing in the 4th tier of the Bundesliga. Green transferred this January to Stuttgart which plays in the 1st Division of the Bundesliga. Green is only 22 years of age and still has a promising career ahead of him. Hopefully, the transfer to Stuttgart will provide the opportunity for significant playing time.

Julian Green was not able to consistently crack the 1st team at Bayern Munich although he played relatively well when he did (1st American player to score a goal for Bayern). He went on loan for a brief while to Hamburg SV playing in the 4th tier of the Bundesliga. Green transferred this January to Stuttgart which plays in the 1st Division of the Bundesliga. Green is only 22 years of age and still has a promising career ahead of him. Hopefully, the transfer to Stuttgart will provide the opportunity for significant playing time.

he might be fine and turn into a great player.. but I would say he's out of the "phenom" status..

I am currently in Playa Del Carmen. Every bar/restaurant was in a frenzy!

Great Match!

Wow! Plenty of tension going into the 2nd half.

For my $$, Bobby Wood played a heckuva game tonight. He took a beating out there but made some smart runs, battled hard (at times fighting off two defenders) and won more than his share of 50/50 balls.

A fantastic result for the U.S. escaping Azteca with a point in a game most of the experts thought they would lose.

The U.S. controls their own destiny now going into the last phase of qualifying.

Next up - Costa Rica in a home match here in the U.S. in September!

what a goal by Bradley

+1

I wish U.S. soccer fans would appreciate Bradley more than they have over the past several years. He seems a target for more than his fair share of criticism when the team has underperformed.

Back
Top Bottom