Going to grad school - would you adjust your portfolio?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm headed to grad school this fall (MBA) and this means I'll be without any salary for 9 months, but I'll continue to have my normal living expenses. On the plus side, tuition has been taken care of, so I won't have to budget anything for that (beyond texbooks).

Other than building up a cash reserve to get through the next year, would you do anythind different with your portfolio during this time (expected 2 years to complete the program). Would you shift to more or less risky equities? Would you adjust your asset allocation to include more bonds? Would you hold more investments that produce current income (REITs, bonds, etc.) in a taxable account since your tax bracket will be low for the next 2 years?

Prolly not with twiddling with it at this point, so long as you have your expected cash needs taken care of. Besides, you might want to change your port after taking a few graduate finance courses.

Went through same questions went I went to grad school (seems like yesterday, but over ten years ago). Ended up leaving everything the same, just turning off the automatic monthly investments while I had no income. It just wasn't worth the time and effort. You'll be very consumed in classes, study groups, etc., and you may even learn a few things about your portfolio (which you can put into action the summer after you graduate).

A word of warning on applying what you know. Classes may make you think that you can outsmart and out analyze the market and individual stocks. Keep reading this board for a reality check. If you bring up in class the types of analyses you hear here, (low cost indexes) be ready for push back.

As has been said, if you are comfortable with your current investments, and have the 2 years needed cash, leave them alone.

Back
Top Bottom