golf swing - driver vs irons

bobbyr

Recycles dryer sheets
I recently had some lessons at GolfTec, which was a good experience. To be able to see my limited shoulder and hip turn and then figure out what I needed to do to increase that was really helpful for my driving yardage and even control.

I liked the instructor, she had me swing more inside out, which is working well FOR THE DRIVER and long irons.

I try the same swing for my short irons and I am having all sorts of problems. So far not great feedback from her. I have googled driver vs irons and see a good bit of considerations (sweep driver vs pinch irons, wide feet with driver vs narrower for short irons, hands a bit forward for irons.

Just pinging (haha) the group for anyone having thoughts. I tend to hook/draw the ball in the past, but with current short iirons, hitting everything right with some cut.

100 things you can do wrong. What I do with the driver does not translate to shorter irons.

For the driver, a stronger grip. Swinging slightly to right field. Making sure the club face is closed to the swing path.

For shorter irons, a strong grip doesn't work. Neutral grip. Grip 30%. Arms loose (no tension) and straight down. Weight 60% on front foot. Hip and shoulder turn. Left wrist stays flat. Left shoulder dips. Head still.

One key: My left arm pit stays connected to my left bicep on the back swing. Only disconnect for follow through. Right arm stays close to the body.

I find it interesting that you can do 28 things wrong, but the more you think about each component, the less things work.

Follow Tom Saguto on YouTube. His shorts and training videos with irons give great advice.

In order to simplify, I went to a set of Single Length irons. Since I was already not great with my irons, the immediate impact was trying to replicate the same swing whether 7 iron, 8 iron or 4 iron.

Golf is a tough game. You have to tinker to improve. Simplicity, routine. What works for the driver and fairway woods isn't transferrable to great iron play most of the time.

Keep working at it. About all we can do. Even 1-5 strokes off the handicap can make a difference.

Right or wrong, my driver/metals swing is not the same as my iron swing - and my swing thought[-]s[/-] are different. However, I swing all my irons pretty much the same, long or short. Unlike the OP, my misses tend to fade not draw.

Right or wrong, my driver/metals swing is not the same as my iron swing - and my swing thought[-]s[/-] are different. However, I swing all my irons pretty much the same, long or short. Unlike the OP, my misses tend to fade not draw.

my misses are fading as well...every time pretty much

I used to draw it more, I may just need to adjust my alignment and play the fade

Follow Tom Saguto on YouTube. His shorts and training videos with irons give great advice.

I will do this.

I also ordered a used copy of Fred Couples book. He has such an easy swing, always loved watching him play.

In his book “Total Shotmaking,” major championship winner Fred Couples advises that you take a controlled rather than hard swing with the 7-iron through 9-irons and wedges. You don’t even have to take a full swing. Just make sure you take enough club to reach the distance to your intended target.

He recommends that you have 60 percent of your weight on your left side at address and moving the ball back 2 inches in your stance. Your hands will now be slightly ahead of the ball at address. The result will be a more descending swing path that enables you to impart backspin on the ball and stop it near the pin.

The obvious, driver catches the ball on the way up. Otherwise, it is the same for me for driver, fairway woods, hybrids and long irons. For short wedges, my back swing is much shorter and then power through on the downswing.

Saguto is good but the man with the plan if you want to hit the golfing ball straight, is Manolo.

I try to have the same setup for all my clubs.. middle of stance if level or uphill lie, back of stance if downhill lie.

Only exception is the driver where the ball is off the left heel... which I suppose causes me to then catch it on the upswing.

I try to have the same setup for all my clubs.. middle of stance if level or uphill lie, back of stance if downhill lie.

Only exception is the driver where the ball is off the left heel... which I suppose causes me to then catch it on the upswing.

I was told, the longer clubs also toward the front foot (not as far as the driver, but not mid-stance. I have hybrid 2-5 irons that are short clubs that I play a little in front of middle, as I am trying to sweep those a little bit as well.

Couple says he plays short irons a little back in stance to pinch the ball better.

100 things you can do wrong. What I do with the driver does not translate to shorter irons.

For the driver, a stronger grip. Swinging slightly to right field. Making sure the club face is closed to the swing path.

For shorter irons, a strong grip doesn't work. Neutral grip. Grip 30%. Arms loose (no tension) and straight down. Weight 60% on front foot. Hip and shoulder turn. Left wrist stays flat. Left shoulder dips. Head still.

One key: My left arm pit stays connected to my left bicep on the back swing. Only disconnect for follow through. Right arm stays close to the body.

I find it interesting that you can do 28 things wrong, but the more you think about each component, the less things work.

In order to simplify, I went to a set of Single Length irons. Since I was already not great with my irons, the immediate impact was trying to replicate the same swing whether 7 iron, 8 iron or 4 iron.

Golf is a tough game. You have to tinker to improve. Simplicity, routine. What works for the driver and fairway woods isn't transferrable to great iron play most of the time.

Keep working at it. About all we can do. Even 1-5 strokes off the handicap can make a difference.

I've been trying the left armpit thing (tucking some shirt under my armpit)...hit a couple of really straight good shots, but generally find it difficult to bring the club back far enough.

I would be curious about your driver/long iron swing thoughts. Your short iron thoughts were very helpful to me.

I've been trying the left armpit thing (tucking some shirt under my armpit)...hit a couple of really straight good shots, but generally find it difficult to bring the club back far enough.

I would be curious about your driver/long iron swing thoughts. Your short iron thoughts were very helpful to me.

Yes. I find that any one "correction" sometimes helps, but sometimes in a box, makes the swing worse. Focus on something like the left armpit and then back off until you aren't really thinking of that one thing.

The golf swing is athletic and more than one swing works. More than one grip works.

The second half of the summer, I simplified. I stopped thinking about many of the things I worked on the first part of the summer.

1. Hands loose, arms hanging straight down. Tightness in the hands and arms is the enemy. Be athletic.
2. Visualize the shot, pick a spot on the ground just ahead of the ball, slightly to the right to swing through. (I am right handed)
3. Don't swing overly hard (but hard enough) and think "lift" with all irons and fairway clubs.
4. Pick enough club to get the distance you need.

Really, only the driver is on another level and usually what helps my iron play doesn't work with the driver.

Golf is a tough game. My handicap didn't move down much this summer, but I feel I understand my swing better.

Back
Top Bottom