Good car rental experience

mpeirce

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With so many travel issues coming up recently I wanted to share a good experience I had this past weekend.

I sometimes rent a car from Sixt - mainly because they offer nice German cars I enjoy driving.

So on my weekend trip to see out new the grandchild in the Bay Area I rented a car from them at SFO.

After I rented the car online, they suggested using the app for "easy pickup”.

Wow, it really was easy.

When I landed at SFO I opened the app and it showed me the exact car I was renting. It instructed me to show the QR code to the person at their car pickup area in the rental center to get my keys. So I took the airtrain to the rental center, walked by their main desk - no line for me! - and showed the person down on level 2 the QR code. They handed me the keys to the car and told me which parking place it was located in. All the paperwork was accessible from inside the app, so there was no pile of contract papers to tote around. I walked to the car, pair it with my iPhone to use the wireless CarPlay(!!! very nice), and drove to the exit. I showed them the paperwork in the app to match with my drivers license and away I drove.

I hope other rental car companies are doing this too (haven’t tried them in a while) because this was the most friction free rental car picked I’ve ever experienced. It made the whole flight experience just that much more pleasant.

Coming back was simple too. I pulled in return area, the checkin guy a few cars in front of me told me to just leave the keys in the car and be on my way.

Nice.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I saw them advertise in the US, but never felt comfortable renting from them. I've used them with good results in Europe.

Last september, we waited for over an hour in line at the Budget counter at SFO .

Last edited:
Never used Sixt before, and there are a lot of shady rental car companies. Curious to hear more experiences with them; sounds like Sixt could be more trustworthy than I give them credit for.

I have used Sixt before and they’re a good company. Prices are reasonable sometimes better than big car rental companies and you get to drive luxury cars. Their check in check out process is seamless. I’d recommend them.

I have used them extensively in Europe and always had fine experience. Never used them in the US though.

Rented a car from Sixt from Heathrow T5 for 10 days (just returned the car today).

The only reason I picked Sixt is because they operate out of Sofitel Hotel next to T5. I can walk from T5 to the Sixt counter in a couple of minutes and don't have to bother with any shuttle. Also, car return is to the Sofitel Hotel underground parking next to T5, so it is very convenient.

My quibble with Sixt in T5 is that when I booked a car with them in May, I booked the smallest automatic available (a Skoda or Citroen---for ease of driving on narrow roads in East Anglia) with a GPS add-on GUARANTEED (according to their website), but when I showed up to pick up the rental car, they told me that they didn't have any standalone GPS unit available, and if I wanted GPS, I would have upgrade to a SUV (Peugeot 3008 Hybrid) or an Audi A3---for an extra 600+ GBP. So in effect I was forced to upgrade if I wanted GPS navigation.

Naturally I wasn't happy; it looked like an out-and-out bait and switch. But I had neither the time nor the inclination to try other rental companies, so I just handed them my credit card and took the Peugeot. The car drove fine and one tank of gas lasted me pretty much the entire trip, but I would think twice about renting from them in the future.

BTW, the 10-day rental for a Peugeot cost me USD $3,200 (with minimum excess + prepaid fuel---I always pick these options to avoid the hassle of having to fuel up before getting to the airport or having to deal with credit card rental car coverage in case of an accident). It would have been about USD $2,500 with a Skoda or Citroen.

By contrast, I only paid USD $840 for a small automatic (again with min excess + prepaid fuel) with Avis at Manchester Airport back in 2019. The price of car rental is just insane nowadays.

Last edited:
I can confirm that Sixt is more popular and gives better service than the competition when renting a car at Reykjavik airport in Iceland.

We have rented through SIXT in Europe a number of times. They are all over.

Our experience is that depending on the county, they can be more costlier than some of their competitors.

We had no issues. As good as any other of the majors that we have rented from.

My quibble with Sixt in T5 is that when I booked a car with them in May, I booked the smallest automatic available (a Skoda or Citroen---for ease of driving on narrow roads in East Anglia) with a GPS add-on GUARANTEED (according to their website), but when I showed up to pick up the rental car, they told me that they didn't have any standalone GPS unit available, and if I wanted GPS, I would have upgrade to a SUV (Peugeot 3008 Hybrid) or an Audi A3---for an extra 600+ GBP. So in effect I was forced to upgrade if I wanted GPS navigation.

Naturally I wasn't happy; it looked like an out-and-out bait and switch.

I always bring my own GPS, so I haven't had any issues with that, but I have found that in general, in Europe, but particularly in the UK, there are far fewer automatic transmission rentals available. So, it is not unusual that even though you have specifically reserved an automatic transmission, when you show up on the lot, then there are only stick shifts available. This is no big deal for me on the Continent, but in the UK, I really do like automatic because some roads are VERY narrow, and for me it takes some getting used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road, so I rather not have to deal with manual shifting - especially since the shifter is of course opposed the side I'm used to. Alas, ended up with a manual for our 3-week Scotland trip and managed ok in the end.

I always bring my own GPS, so I haven't had any issues with that, but I have found that in general, in Europe, but particularly in the UK, there are far fewer automatic transmission rentals available. So, it is not unusual that even though you have specifically reserved an automatic transmission, when you show up on the lot, then there are only stick shifts available. This is no big deal for me on the Continent, but in the UK, I really do like automatic because some roads are VERY narrow, and for me it takes some getting used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road, so I rather not have to deal with manual shifting - especially since the shifter is of course opposed the side I'm used to. Alas, ended up with a manual for our 3-week Scotland trip and managed ok in the end.

That's a good idea with bringing your own GPS. I have a Garmin navigation GPS unit, and it would be easy to buy and load a map of the destination where I want to visit and drive.

I haven't driven a stick in years and like you, would much prefer driving an automatic in the UK where a lot of the roads in the countryside are extremely narrow. I especially hate those narrow, single-lane roads that have very tall hedges on the sides with zero visibility on curves and turns. I enjoy driving holidays, but driving in the UK countryside just isn't very enjoyable.

That's a good idea with bringing your own GPS. I have a Garmin navigation GPS unit, and it would be easy to buy and load a map of the destination where I want to visit and drive.

You don't even need that if you have a smartphone. Google Maps, Waze, and Apple Maps all work wonderfully well in most of the world. Personally, I like and use all three of those. Apple Maps seems to be the best for me when I'm walking, but they all work well when driving.

You can even download the area you're going to in Google Maps, so you have it offline and you don't even need a cell signal. The GPS in your phone will use the downloaded map just fine.

You don't even need that if you have a smartphone. Google Maps, Waze, and Apple Maps all work wonderfully well in most of the world. Personally, I like and use all three of those. Apple Maps seems to be the best for me when I'm walking, but they all work well when driving.

You can even download the area you're going to in Google Maps, so you have it offline and you don't even need a cell signal. The GPS in your phone will use the downloaded map just fine.

You're right, but I happen to be one of probably only 5 people left on the face of the earth who still use a flip phone :) I tossed my smart phone after I FIRE'd because it reminded me too much of w**k.

Remember the Hertz ads for $19.95 a day car rental? Well now it's $125 and day. The world has gone nuts I tell ya, nuts!

PS, Glad I have a lot of money saved.

We rented from Hertz locally when we had multiple car problems. We got a one month rental for $700. And a business card from an agent who is a car guy who could buy our old Prius. All around a good experience.

We rented from Hertz locally when we had multiple car problems. We got a one month rental for $700. And a business card from an agent who is a car guy who could buy our old Prius. All around a good experience.

One of my buddies was complaining, rental cars are now $125 a day, I told my wife this. Her sister did a four day rental and my ask how much was the car? She said it was $500, Hmm, that seems to be $125 a day.
Glad you got a deal.

I once reserved Sixt car because of the good rate, then researched reviews. The reviews scared me off, so I canceled and stayed with Hertz. Couple of years ago we rented with Budget and had a bad experience. Everyone is different, but for us we are loyal to Hertz, since we've never had a problem with the rental process, or the car. Not to mention I love just walking straight to the Hertz Gold aisle and picking any car I want.

I always prefer to do rental agreements on paper. Rental agents are infamous for slipping optional insurance charges including personal belongings insurance Iif your suitcase is stolen).

And as a retiree, I'm still not comfortable with QR codes and other such modern online transactions.

Heck, when I retired, I too retired from using a smartphone very often. I'm offline mostly.

We recently returned from a five week stay in Portugal.

It was the first time in memory that we have not rented a car. Did not even know the rates. We decided on rail travel based on where we wanted to go. It worked out incredibly well. Especially since as seniors we got a 50 percent discount on our tickets.

Our last few stops were in the Algarve. We came across several signs advertising car rentals. Three day were always in the vicinity of 120E a day. I assume that, as usual, there would be even more charges once one got to the purchase stage. One week rentals were anywhere from 480e to 600e.

We were surprised at these high rates. It cost us 12.50e each to train from Lisbon to Lagos. A one day rental on that somewhat monotonous drive would have been at least 100e in rental costs, 25e in highway tolls, and 40e in gas.

In the past out best prices and service have been as a result of renting though autoeurope. Most especially in Italy and the UK. The only exceptions to that for us so far have been Greece and Cyprus.

Last edited:
We recently returned from a five week stay in Portugal.

It was the first time in memory that we have not rented a car. Did not even know the rates. We decided on rail travel based on where we wanted to go. It worked out incredibly well. Especially since as seniors we got a 50 percent discount on our tickets.

Our last few stops were in the Algarve. We came across several signs advertising car rentals. Three day were always in the vicinity of 120E a day. I assume that, as usual, there would be even more charges once one got to the purchase stage. One week rentals were anywhere from 480e to 600e.

We were surprised at these high rates. It cost us 12.50e each to train from Lisbon to Lagos. A one day rental on that somewhat monotonous drive would have been at least 100e in rental costs, 25e in highway tolls, and 40e in gas.

In the past out best prices and service have been as a result of renting though autoeurope. Most especially in Italy and the UK. The only exceptions to that for us so far have been Greece and Cyprus.

I just returned from 6 weeks in Italy. I rented a car in Florence for 10 days but booked it about three months before I left at around €60/day. When I was actually in Italy and wanted to rent a car again it was €250 a day.

I once reserved Sixt car because of the good rate, then researched reviews. The reviews scared me off, so I canceled and stayed with Hertz. Couple of years ago we rented with Budget and had a bad experience. Everyone is different, but for us we are loyal to Hertz, since we've never had a problem with the rental process, or the car. Not to mention I love just walking straight to the Hertz Gold aisle and picking any car I want.

Many of these are locally owned franchises. I spent a few years in Ireland since 2016 and rented cars very frequently. I always wanted to use my CC for insurance and Sixt was notorious for being a stickler. They wanted a letter from the CC company dated within the last three months. Hertz didn’t do that but would charge me €7 a day just for the privilege of using my CC insurance.

When I was in Spain I rented from Sixt and they were very easy to deal with. I think it might depend on who the local owner is.

You're right, but I happen to be one of probably only 5 people left on the face of the earth who still use a flip phone [emoji4] I tossed my smart phone after I FIRE'd because it reminded me too much of w**k.

Not even sure I would know how to deal with travel without a smart phone. I bought all my train tickets online for my last trip while in Italy. There must’ve been 40/50 people standing in a couple lines to get local train tickets in two different spots in Italy. Immediately I was able to use the Trenitalia app to bypass the lines and get tickets for us.

Getting around I used phone GPS even for walking directions. Airline boarding passes on phone so no need to print. United App on phone updating me on when to board or if flight delays. One time I missed a connection and when I landed the App sent me a message that I was booked on the next flight. Just things like that make life so much easier.

Dinner reservations made on local apps. Etc etc. Some places now only have QR codes for menus, although I’m sure they could come up with a paper one if pressed.

Back
Top Bottom