GPS problems

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My GPS stopped working when i'm 1500 miles from home. It has said "acquiring satelite" for a day and a half. Anyone know if this is 'fatal' or if it'll fix itself eventually? I don't have a smartphone either.

It might help to know the Brand and Model but is there a factory default reset sequence? Sometimes that works.

My GPS stopped working when i'm 1500 miles from home. It has said "acquiring satelite" for a day and a half. Anyone know if this is 'fatal' or if it'll fix itself eventually? I don't have a smartphone either.

Not an experienced GPS user, but

1. Are you in a mountainous area? If the satellite is low in the sky, a mountain can block the transmission.
2. Do you have your computer with you? If so, plug it in and see if it needs an update.
3. It's fully charged, right?

I hope this doesn't ruin your trip. Paper maps still work!

I have a Garmin Nuvi purchased in 2007 and it began doing strange things like "acquiring satellite" and giving directions for the return trip and cutting in and out. Sort of leaving me stranded in unfamiliar territory. When I replaced the power cord, GPS was fine. I think wrapping the cord around the base when not in use caused a break or a rupture in the line plus its age. 15 bucks and I have not had any problems since. I can't say it will work for you, but it is worth a try.
Prof12

I haven't had that particular problem, but I have solved some episodes of Garmin misconduct by simply turning it off (at the switch,) unplugging it and waiting a few minutes before giving it another try.

Good luck..

If it's a Garmin there is a reset protocol you might use. Each model is different, so you'll have to research it yourself. That ought to take care of the issue, unless, as another poster stated, it's a cable problem.

Rich

Thanks for the suggestions. If all else fails I still have paper maps and street signs. Paper maps are hard to read when traveling alone but better than nothing.

When I got my Garmin 255W, I had some problems that were temporarily fixed with a reset, but the final fix was an updated download from Garmin.

Most of the Garmin and TomTom GPS devices I've used have a small hole either in the back or the bottom where you can poke in the end of a paper clip. Hold it in until the unit resets. Same as rebooting a computer.

Aaron, I can't help with the GPS but you have a lot of good suggestions from other posters.

When you get back from your trip could we get a trip report in in the Travel Information forum? Of course if you prefer not to, that would be OK.

Wishing you a good trip.
May the wind be at your back.

Aaron, I can't help with the GPS but you have a lot of good suggestions from other posters.

When you get back from your trip could we get a trip report in in the Travel Information forum? Of course if you prefer not to, that would be OK.

Wishing you a good trip.
May the wind be at your back.

If I remember but I won't be back for a while. I found out my uncle will be going on a 40 day cruise and he offered to have me house sit. So i'll be enjoying florida weather until mid-late April.

Better than this...

295141_451428398252329_559729831_n.jpg

I don't see it as a cable issue since you did not say it was turning on and off....

My wife says that our Garmin will not get a signal every once in awhile... I think it is because we usually have it low on the center console when driving the truck...

I have not seen it take anywhere near 1 1/2 days...

Did it ever get a signal? It might be broke if not...

We do have a Tom-Tom, but it was a POS since day one... always have map problems... and there were times it would not calculate a way to where we wanted to go... that is why we now have the Garmin...

PS... I will sell you a crappy old Tom-Tom if you want.... :angel:

Not sure what model you have, but this is a known problem with Tom Toms. There have still not got a permanent fix for it, but do offer weekly critical "gps fix" downloads to your SD card.

My Tom Tom came with my Renault and I have a problem with the gps since Feb 2012.

Not happy as the car is less than 12 months old. Renault say its a Tom Tom issue, not their problem :mad:

Drop by a Best Buys store,they will diagnose the problem for you and recommend a fix.
In my case the Garmin Nuvi wouldnt charge,tuned out to be a faulty connection in the power cord $15 later with a new power cord its been working fine ever since.

If you are quick, you can get a refurb GPS from Woot... with lifetime maps and traffic...

If I remember but I won't be back for a while. I found out my uncle will be going on a 40 day cruise and he offered to have me house sit. So i'll be enjoying florida weather until mid-late April.

You should spend a few hours dropping off job applications around town, Aaron! Maybe your dream of never dealing with winter again can come true.

Back
Top Bottom