Great Life and ER related Quote

One of my favorites:

"If we don't change the direction we're going, we're likely to end up where we are headed." -Chinese Proverb

"Do not pray for what you desire - pray to lose the desire"

- Unknown

This has been attributed to Gandhi (in some readings) but personally, this is a thought that has kept me on the straight and narrow (at least financially :rolleyes: ) for a long time.

People who are subject to (buying) impulses and feel them must act on them may be free to act but they also are shackled to their desires. Think about today's personal financial troubles (for instance, high CC debt, along with mortgages that were obtained with very little thought of the financial future of the individual).

Had a boss once with a prominent sign on his desk: Not to decide is to decide.

He lived by it. The not part.

"Sometimes on the way to a dream, you get lost and find a better one."

The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. No, not at all. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass where ever you may be.

- Robert Fulghum

The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. No, not at all. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass where ever you may be.

- Robert Fulghum
Water is only part of the answer. Just ask Erma Bombeck...

Out for my own, out to be free
One with my mind, they just can't see
No need to hear things that they say
Life's for my own to live my own way

Metallica, yes that Metallica - That lyric and my parents made me not worry about what other people thought-Huge lesson for a 16 year old kid.

Sorry meant to link it to ER and Frugality etc.- So many co-workers friends etc. kid or mock me about being tight with money as they pull away in their overpriced cars to go home to their too big home. Oh well- "No need to hear things that they say"

Just because we cannot see clearly the end of the road, that is no reason for not setting out on the essential journey. On the contrary, great change dominates the world, and unless we move with change we will become it's victims.

RFK

That's a good one from RFK. I'd never heard it.

Here is one that's haunted me:

"Are you working for your car?" - Akaisha Kalderli

Poco a poco, se va muy lejos - saying my HS Spanish teacher always said - little by little, one goes very far.

Also: a long journey begins with one step.

Back
Top Bottom