Growing Old - Frankl Quote

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
This really resonates with me:

“The pessimist resembles a man who observes with fear and sadness that his wall calendar, from which he daily tears a sheet, grows thinner with each passing day. On the other hand, the person who attacks the problems of life actively is like a man who removes each successive leaf from his calendar and files it neatly and carefully away with its predecessors, after first having jotted down a few diary notes on the back. He can reflect with pride and joy on all the richness set down in these notes, on all the life he has already lived to the fullest. What will it matter to him if he notices that he is growing old? Has he any reason to envy the young people whom he sees, or wax nostalgic over his own lost youth? What reasons has he to envy a young person? For the possibilities that a young person has, the future which is in store for him?

No, thank you,' he will think. 'Instead of possibilities, I have realities in my past, not only the reality of work done and of love loved, but of sufferings bravely suffered. These sufferings are even the things of which I am most proud, although these are things which cannot inspire envy.”
― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

Yeah, yeah, just keep telling yourself that, Frankl old boy. :LOL:

This really resonates with me:

“What will it matter to him if he notices that he is growing old? Has he any reason to envy the young people whom he sees, or wax nostalgic over his own lost youth? What reasons has he to envy a young person? For the possibilities that a young person has, the future which is in store for him?

No, thank you,' he will think. 'Instead of possibilities, I have realities in my past, not only the reality of work done and of love loved, but of sufferings bravely suffered. These sufferings are even the things of which I am most proud, although these are things which cannot inspire envy.”
― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

If anyone has ever earned the standing to see life in this way, it is Viktor Frankl. I take it that you do not know his story or have read his book Man's Search for Meaning?

Ha

If anyone has ever earned the standing to see life in this way, it is Viktor Frankl. I take it that you do not know his story or have read his book Man's Search for Meaning?

Ha

I know who he is. His life was what it was. Just like everybody else.

Without taking anything away from Mr Frankl, it sounds like the same old rationalizing/justifying and looking down on people who are not like The Speaker as defined by The Speaker

Whenever I hear these kinds of platitudes about how to live life or what constitutes a good life, whatever you call it, I hear two things:

1) Someone expounding on how they put up with the things with which he had to put up. Like who doesn't? Only he did it better and you should too?

2) Justifying an endless list of personally generated "Make-Work" projects. And if you don't have them you aren't living right. Maybe some people can enjoy life without being busy-bodies who can't, as Blaise Pascal said: Sit quietly, in a room, alone."

Sorry, but I learned early in life that the Wisdom of The Elders was mostly self-serving crap.

I know who he is. His life was what it was. Just like everybody else.

Without taking anything away from Mr Frankl, it sounds like the same old rationalizing/justifying and looking down on people who are not like The Speaker as defined by The Speaker

Whenever I hear these kinds of platitudes about how to live life or what constitutes a good life, whatever you call it, I hear two things:

1) Someone expounding on how they put up with the things with which he had to put up. Like who doesn't? Only he did it better and you should too?

2) Justifying an endless list of personally generated "Make-Work" projects. And if you don't have them you aren't living right. Maybe some people can enjoy life without being busy-bodies who can't, as Blaise Pascal said: Sit quietly, in a room, alone."

Sorry, but I learned early in life that the Wisdom of The Elders was mostly self-serving crap.
How long have you spent in a Concentration camp?

I thought so.

Granted I haven't had my coffee yet but razztazz above seemed to be trying to convey a "don't let somebody tell you you haven't lived" type message. And he/she did say they were not trying to take anything away from Franki.

I somewhat agree with the platitudes such as "It is not length of life, but depth of life." or "It is not length of life, but depth of life" can come off judgemental or even fear-mongering. Certainly, some can find these quotes inspirational. However, others may interpret them to be used to chastise them for being content.

Although, I'm not sure any of us can truly know the meaning of life. Or mabye we can, just our own meaning.

These kind of quotes give perspective. Perspective is a good thing. Or rather, it's very bad when you lose it.

Is any one quote "The Meaning of Life?" No. Do they all have their place, to help us make sense of, and make the most of, our lives? Sure. Bring 'em on!

Ha

I consider his book one of the best I've ever read....amazing man. And his advice on how to view life is spot on....those who had a purpose to live lived; we define our life by how we respond to it, i.e. life is not what happens to us but how we respond to it.

Back
Top Bottom