Have you ever rented your primary residence to somebody?

Have you ever rented your primary residence to somebody?

• Yes

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • No, but would consider

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • No, and would not consider

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Don't own and don't want to

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't know the actual tax rate of the recaptured depreciation but it's not treated as capital gains. I think the max rate is 25%. The recapture tax rate would be on the $16,000 in your example. I filled out the forms for the sale of residential real estate in my electronic tax program (TaxAct) so I'm not sure what all the calculations were. All I know is that I wrote a big check to Uncle Sam and to CA.

Don't know the motivation for the passive rules. Seems like I was taking the deductions in lower tax bracket years and paid it all back in a high tax bracket year. The state of CA and the federal government definitely got their share when I sold.

Do you have a personal referral on the property management company? Tenants are the first things landlords complain about and property managers are the second thing...or maybe it's the other way around.

I do, fortunately. I posted to a local list and somebody responded with exclamation about their current landlord/property manager, whom also is the manager for a property that this person's mother is in. The referral described the way the property manager handles situations they've come across.

Based on the referral, I spoke with the property manager and felt that it would be a good relationship.

Buckeye said:
Do you have a personal referral on the property management company? Tenants are the first things landlords complain about and property managers are the second thing...or maybe it's the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom