Hawaii, taxes and the TSP

KimmK451

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hoping some other Fed or military retirees can give me advice on this one: state taxes on the TSP for Hawaii. As far as I can tell, an old statute said no taxes on public retirement plans but a later statute amended that to say that doesn't apply to a bunch of plans including the Thrift Savings Plan.

Ok, so it's taxable. But then from what I can glean of the legalese following, it appears that only MY portion of the contributions are taxable and my annual statement says I contributed 76%. My tax preparer says if it's not on the 1099-R, then I have to pay tax on all of it. (Well, that's MY fault 'cause he originally told me I'm not taxed on TSP withdrawals and I corrected him.) 1099-R just lists the full amount and leaves the '9B Employee contribution' section blank.

My friend's first accountant told her no Hawaii taxes on the TSP, and her second accountant told her she's taxed on all withdrawals from the TSP. TSP help line guy told me 'no taxes on the TSP'.

Pretty sure we're not the only ones who've had that problem. What is everyone else in Hawaii doing about taxes on their TSP withdrawals?

Last edited:
If your contributions are pre-tax, why would you expect them to be exempt?

NM: I see this is State tax issue.

no taxes on public retirement plans

TSP is not a retirement plan. It is basically a 401k. I believe that all of your TSP(401k) withdrawals are taxable. Good luck. I have TSP and a few 401k's. I'm not drawing on any of them yet. 2 young.

https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/tir/1990_09/tir96-5.pdf

See Section 1.A of the above document. Perhaps, Nords, a frequent contributor here, and a military retiree who lives in Hawaii can help you out. But seems from the above, a portion of the TSP distribution is exempt from Hawaii state income taxes under a preferred calculation prescribed there.

See Section 1.A of the above document. Perhaps, Nords, a frequent contributor here, and a military retiree who lives in Hawaii can help you out. But seems from the above, a portion of the TSP distribution is exempt from Hawaii state income taxes under a preferred calculation prescribed there.

Agree with asking Nords. But, Nords was never a gov employee. Military yes. Government NO. In 1996 (date of that document) the military didn't even have TSP until 2001. Also I highly doubt that HI treatment of TSP is based off of a document from 1996. Maybe. Nothing surprises me with government.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

The answer to this question lies in Hawaii state rules. The 1996 document I referenced was the only state referenced document I found from a quick search.

I will note that TSP distributions in NC, where I reside, are exempt from NC income taxes based on a 1989 state ruling and this covers any Federal retiree vested in TSP for 5 years prior to 1989, which could include employer plan contributions made by the Feds. All my contributions to TSP were vested as they were all employee contributions. I point this out to show these issues are all state dependent and not necessarily based on whether a retirement plan is a defined benefit plan (pension) or a defined contribution plan (QEP, 401k or (TSP), as your first post in this thread implied.

Last edited:
Last year, I asked my tax preparer (enrolled agent) for clarification on how Hawaii taxes pensions. In my case, it is a state pension (403b) from another state and an IRA from another pension from the same state that was comingled with a corporate 401k rolled into an IRA. Most of this was done 20 or so years ago when I expected to be retiring in a state that taxed government pensions.

Her answer to me was just to make a good faith effort to estimate how much came from where and what taxes I owe. The state simply does not have the resources to many audits and is not really in a position to dispute claims. She basically said not to worry about it.

Your situation is a little different but I think the same general principle applies - make a good faith effort to comply with the law as you interpret it then don't worry, be happy. I'm not sure which island you live on but at least here on the Big Island we have people who flagrantly ignore laws, carry "sovereignty plates" on their cars, and don't pay income taxes. When is the last time you heard of someone being prosecuted much less punished? (And hint, if you are proseuted you have a constitutional right to have the proceeding conducted in the Hawaiian language at State expense. The cost of that is almost always more than they will ever recover so they will back down. What? You don't speak Hawaiian and are fluent in English? That's irrelevent to asserting your rights!)

Seriously, I understand you are just trying to understand the law and do the right thing to comply with it. But the very ambiguity you pointed out makes it pretty much and "honor system" issue from what I have been told.

Yes! That's what I thought too. It's a little difficult to decipher though, so was hoping someone else might have already figured it out.

I will note that TSP distributions in NC, where I reside, are exempt from NC income taxes based on a 1989 state ruling and this covers any Federal retiree vested in TSP for 5 years prior to 1989, which could include employer plan contributions made by the Feds. All my contributions to TSP were vested as they were all employee contributions. I point this out to show these issues are all state dependent and not necessarily based on whether a retirement plan is a defined benefit plan (pension) or a defined contribution plan (QEP, 401k or (TSP), as your first post in this thread implied.

TSP did not come into existence until 1986. How could a person be vested 5 years prior? "Established by Congress in the Federal Employees’ Retirement System Act of 1986"

I did find this: "there are many states (14 to be precise) that do not tax pension income at all: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wyoming New Hampshire, Alabama, Illinois, Hawaii, Mississippi, and Pennsylvania. (Some states, such as New York, exclude federal pensions from income tax but do tax some private pensions.) Some of these states don’t have an income tax at all while others just exclude pension income from their income tax. " govexec.com website. Good luck OP. Looks like no tax but I would dig further.

Oh, and BTW, Nords lives just down the street from you.

Last edited:
How can you be vested in TSP in NC, 5 years prior to 1989 when TSP was created in 1986? When TSP sends you a letter a month after you separated and retired from Federal service that says your TSP-SCD was 01/01/1984, that the notation N/A is made for the entry on the letter for “Vested” and that the letter reports your “Vested Balance” as of the date of the letter is $xxx,xxx.

Last year, I was audited by the NC tax auditor/examiner for having a state return that had a $xxx,xxx distribution/conversion from TSP to a Roth IRA that my return reported as state tax exempt under that 1989 ruling (called the Bailey Settlement). I sent this TSP letter along with official separation correspondence from OPM showing my SCD as 3-3-1979 and a retirement date of 6-29-2013 to the NC auditor who released my return and processed my hefty state refund as I had overpaid on state taxes.

This is all besides the OP’s inquiry. I’m not going down any more BigDawg rabbit holes with you. The point remains you should not extrapolate your general understanding of TSP to arrive at a state dependent decision.

Last edited:
This is all besides the OP’s inquiry. I’m not going down any more BigDawg rabbit holes with you. The point remains you should not extrapolate your general understanding of TSP to arrive at a state dependent decision.

Interesting that your state (NC) references TSP for 1984 when TSP did not exist in 1984. https://www.tsp.gov/about-the-thrift-savings-plan-tsp/. "Established by Congress in the Federal Employees’ Retirement System Act of 1986, the TSP offers the same types of savings and tax benefits that many private corporations offer their employees under 401(k) plans." Grandfathered in I'm guessing. But, like you said, I'm not going down your NC specific rabbit hole. Trying to help the OP here.

OP, my earlier post referenced retirement plans. Is TSP a retirement plan? IDK. Suggest you contact the HI Department of Taxation. https://tax.hawaii.gov/

Best of luck to you sir.

Interesting that your state (NC) references TSP for 1984 when TSP did not exist in 1984. https://www.tsp.gov/about-the-thrift-savings-plan-tsp/. "Established by Congress in the Federal Employees’ Retirement System Act of 1986, the TSP offers the same types of savings and tax benefits that many private corporations offer their employees under 401(k) plans." Grandfathered in I'm guessing. But, like you said, I'm not going down your NC specific rabbit hole. Trying to help the OP here.

OP, my earlier post referenced retirement plans. Is TSP a retirement plan? IDK. Suggest you contact the HI Department of Taxation. https://tax.hawaii.gov/

Best of luck to you sir.

Lol. TSP, I think knows more about TSP, than you know about TSP and its vesting for CSRS participants. TSP established my vesting as 01/01/1984, perhaps because this might have been the date when CSRS participants were offered enrollment in FERS and eventual establishment of TSP in 1986.

Of course, TSP is a “retirement plan.” That’s not the issue in Hawaii; it’s whether the employer made contributions (matching or otherwise) into that retirement plan as that 1996 document mentions for purposes of Hawaii exclusion of state taxes for retirement plans. Thus, for example, as a CSRS annuitant I have no doubt that if I lived in HI my distributions from TSP would be fully taxable as my contributions were all employee made. OTOH, FERS annuitants should have a portion of their TSP distributions exempt based on the fact that OPM made employer contributions to TSP.

Distributions of the government contributions to TSP were at some point not taxable in Hawaii. When TSP produced it's own statements, it probably would have been easy to calculate this. With the new vendor, probably not.

The government did not start contributing to military TSP accounts until the Blended Retirement System went into effect some years ago, well after Nords retired, so it wouldn't affect him.

Hoping some other Fed or military retirees can give me advice on this one: state taxes on the TSP for Hawaii. As far as I can tell, an old statute said no taxes on public retirement plans but a later statute amended that to say that doesn't apply to a bunch of plans including the Thrift Savings Plan.

Ok, so it's taxable. But then from what I can glean of the legalese following, it appears that only MY portion of the contributions are taxable and my annual statement says I contributed 76%. My tax preparer says if it's not on the 1099-R, then I have to pay tax on all of it. (Well, that's MY fault 'cause he originally told me I'm not taxed on TSP withdrawals and I corrected him.) 1099-R just lists the full amount and leaves the '9B Employee contribution' section blank.
Well, that’s one heck of an Internet rabbit hole.

@KimmK451, I’m going to go out on my unqualified limb to claim that it’s all subject to Hawaii state income tax, just like a traditional 401(k) is all subject to federal income tax.

It’s hard to prove a negative because nothing in the Hawaii references definitely mentions the TSP is either fully taxable or partially taxable, but the lack of exclusions implies that it’s fully taxable.

TL:DR:
I’d consult with a tax CPA like Dick Oshima (or a referral) for an hourly rate. They might even answer your question for free.
http://www.oshimacpa.com/

The longer version:

Technically the TSP falls under sections 401(a) and 414(d) of the tax code, not 401(k), but for taxable income it’s treated as a 401(k). I don’t have the tax education to understand the difference but the latest TSP Fact Sheet explains the treatment:
https://www.tsp.gov/publications/tspfs05.pdf

Box 9b on the 1099-R is for total employee contributions or designated Roth contributions (Roth 401(k) contributions).
https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r#en_US_2023_publink1000292017
Unless you contributed to a Roth TSP, this box would show your total employee contributions. However the federal government’s employer contributions and the growth are also tax-deferred, so they’re also subject to federal income tax. I think box 9b is blank on your 1099-R because everything else on your 1099-R is taxable at both federal & state levels.

That tax info release memo:
seems to imply that the employer’s matching contributions are exempt. But the section of the state income-tax law, 18-235-7-03(e), starts right off by talking about pension plans-- not 401(k)s. I added more comments on that part of the state law below.

Form N-11 instructions show some tax on deferred compensation plans.
https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/forms/2021/n11ins.pdf
Deferred Compensation Plans
“Distributions from a deferred compensation plan may be partly or fully taxable. A deferred compensation plan includes any plan in which the employee has a choice of whether to contribute money into the plan or take that amount in cash or property. Examples include 401(k) plans, salary reduction Simplified Employee Pension (SARSEP) plans, the Federal Thrift Savings Plan, and section 457 plans like the State of Hawaii Deferred Compensation Plan.”

Schedule J instructions help determine which parts might be exempt from tax.
https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/forms/2021/schj_i.pdf
“5. The state retirement system or any other public retirement system. Distributions from a public retirement system are not subject to Hawaii’s personal net income tax. However, distributions attributable to voluntary contributions made under an elective right by an employee of a government employer are subject to Hawaii personal income tax (see sections 18-235-7-01 through 18-235-7-03, Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR)). If voluntary contributions were made, use this form to calculate the amount of the pension income subject to Hawaii personal income tax. If you are filing Form N-11, the amount reported as taxable pension for federal income tax purposes, but excluded from Hawaii personal income tax, should be included on Form N-11, line 13.”

Hawaii Administrative Rules (from the state tax codes) set up the deduction possibilities: https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/har/har_235.pdf
18-235-7-02 on page 34:
“Exclusion of benefits under public retirement systems. (a) The rules in this section shall be coordinated with provisions of the IRC. The IRC is operative in chapter 235, HRS, pursuant to sections 235-2.3 to 235-2.4, HRS, and other HRS provisions. To determine the taxability for state purposes of a distribution from a public retirement system, the taxpayer must first determine the federal income tax treatment for a distribution from such public retirement system. If a distribution from such public retirement system is not subject to federal income taxation, the distribution is similarly exempt from state income taxation under section 235-2.3 or 235-2.4, HRS. If, however, the distribution is partially or totally subject to income taxation under section 235-2.3 or 235-2.4, HRS, the taxpayer may turn to section 235-7(a)(2), HRS, and this section to determine whether the taxpayer is able to claim a total or partial exemption for such taxable portion of the distribution, as the case may be.

18-235-7-03 on page 35 is titled “Exclusion of pension income.” But TSP RMDs are not pension income. It also says:
“If a distribution from such plan is not subject to federal income taxation, the distribution is similarly
exempt from state income taxation under section 235-2.3 or 235-2.4, HRS. If, however, the distribution is partially or totally subject to income taxation under section 235-2.3 or 235-2.4, HRS, the taxpayer may turn to section 235-7(a)(3), HRS, and this section to determine whether the taxpayer is able to claim a total or partial exemption for such taxable portion of the distribution, as the case may be. In determining whether the taxpayer is eligible to claim an exemption for a distribution under section 235-7(a)(3), HRS, and this section, section 235-7(a)(3) does not adopt the provisions in Subchapter D of the IRC (sections 401 through 424, IRC) which redefine certain amounts as employer contributions, and artificially redefine self-employed persons as employees, for purposes of those IRC sections.”

In other words, it seems to imply that TSP employer contributions aren’t considered separately as potentially excluded from state income tax.

Chapter 235, HRS, Income Tax Law doesn’t help:
https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/hrs/hrs_235.pdf
Section 235-7 (bottom of page 21) doesn’t specifically exempt 401(k)s or the Thrift Savings Plan from state taxes, so I’m guessing it’s all presumed taxable.
There’s also section 234-2.4(y):
“In administering sections 401 to 419A (with respect to deferred compensation) of the Internal Revenue Code, Public Law 93-406, section 1017(i), shall be operative for the purposes of this chapter.”
That also seems to imply your tax-deferred employee contributions, the employer’s matching contributions, and the growth are all taxable.

This blog post also flatly claims that TSP distributions are subject to Hawaii state tax:
https://stwserve.com/what-states-tax-social-security-tsp-federal/

My friend's first accountant told her no Hawaii taxes on the TSP, and her second accountant told her she's taxed on all withdrawals from the TSP. TSP help line guy told me 'no taxes on the TSP'.
If the TSP help line guy claims that the TSP is not taxed in Hawaii, he should have the guts to back it up with references to the Hawaii state tax code.

If he can’t show his work (and if his help-line scripts don’t cite the reference), then he gets no credit.

Pretty sure we're not the only ones who've had that problem. What is everyone else in Hawaii doing about taxes on their TSP withdrawals?
The government did not start contributing to military TSP accounts until the Blended Retirement System went into effect some years ago, well after Nords retired, so it wouldn't affect him.
Personally, my spouse and I never had matching government contributions.

But our daughter and son-in-law both have lots of these in their BRS TSPs, so we’ll get to that issue when they become Hawaii residents in 2024. Our daughter is finished with her military service, and I think she’s already in the process of converting her TSP accounts to a Roth IRA, but I’ll ask her about the details.

I remember researching Hawaii taxes in 2002 when I retired from active duty. Back then I decided that our entire traditional TSP RMDs (no govt matching contributions) would be subject to Hawaii state tax (in addition to federal tax) so we started doing Roth IRA conversions.

We finished rolling over our TSP accounts in 2015 and did our last Roth IRA conversion a few years later. These days we only have a couple of Roth IRAs and a taxable account, so we’re never doing RMDs.

But that doesn’t specifically answer your question about deducting employer matching contributions.

To boost my ignorance to even greater heights, we have a ton of state tax credits from energy improvements and an old angel investor incentive. We haven’t paid any state taxes since 2009. It’s quite possible that we’ll keep drawing down those state tax credits all the way to the 2050s.

Oh, and BTW, Nords lives just down the street from you.
Yep, we’re up in Mililani.

I’m not a tax pro, but had a boss once who is. He told me years ago to always track employer contributions to 401(k)s and those converted to IRAs, as the employer contribution is not taxable by Hawaii; and to keep ESOP funds provided by my employer separate as well.

A 1996 tax information release 96-5 states: “In some 401(k) plans, the employer makes matching contributions to the plan (section 401(m)(4)(A), IRC). If a 401(k) plan is funded by this type of contribution, part of the plan will be considered to be employer-funded. An exclusion ratio will be used to determine that part of the distribution that is excluded. Section 18-235-7-03(e), HAR, prescribes the procedure to compute the exclusion ratio.”

Thanks you for the advice! You can see from Nord's post why I got lost in the tax codes.

I called the HI Dept of Taxation and while their help desk person wasn't able to assist, she did put me through to their 'Rules Department'. I left a message and eventually one of their tax experts called me back. Her answer was basically the same as SecondAttempt's tax preparer: While the TSP is taxable, the portion that my employer contributed is not. Even though the 1099-R leaves the 9B Employee Contribution box blank, she said to fill out a Schedule J and attach to the N11 when I file, and keep my records on hand in case of future audits to show how I got the amounts.

Page 2 of my annual statement from the TSP says I contributed 76% of the money in my account, so I sent the explanation to my tax guy along with a copy of the statement and his assistant said they'd get back to me.

No word back from tax guy yet. I had tried to find a tax preparer who was familiar with the TSP already but most weren't accepting new clients. Hopefully this one will be an expert by the time we're done.

I called the HI Dept of Taxation and while their help desk person wasn't able to assist, she did put me through to their 'Rules Department'. I left a message and eventually one of their tax experts called me back. Her answer was basically the same as SecondAttempt's tax preparer: While the TSP is taxable, the portion that my employer contributed is not. Even though the 1099-R leaves the 9B Employee Contribution box blank, she said to fill out a Schedule J and attach to the N11 when I file, and keep my records on hand in case of future audits to show how I got the amounts.

Page 2 of my annual statement from the TSP says I contributed 76% of the money in my account, so I sent the explanation to my tax guy along with a copy of the statement and his assistant said they'd get back to me.
Whew. I'm glad the state got back to you-- and with an answer that costs less money!

Military families have mentioned that the TSP lost (or didn't transfer over) a lot of historical statements after the May 2022 upgrade. Since the 1099-R didn't document the employer contribution, you'd want to hold on to a paper copy of that TSP info with your personal copies of your tax return.

Thanks you for the advice! You can see from Nord's post why I got lost in the tax codes.

No word back from tax guy yet. I had tried to find a tax preparer who was familiar with the TSP already but most weren't accepting new clients. Hopefully this one will be an expert by the time we're done.

I suspected that you'd get favorable treatment as I implied upthread. In my case, and certainly different from your experience in HI, my State did audit my exclusion of TSP distributions from State income taxes -- and I had to send paperwork to show my entitlement to the exclusion, which in your case appears to be much more simplified. Sounds like you have the back-up to exclude 24% of the TSP distributions you'd take in any given tax year, based on the proportion of employer contributions to your TSP account. Good luck and well done!

Thanks! Looks like getting my tax guy to return calls/emails is going to be a whole 'nother battle though. Sigh.

Made a face to face appointment with my tax guy and told him what the Dept of Taxation had told me, then gave him their phone number so he could verify. A couple of days later, he sent me an amended return that got me a couple thousand back! So now it’ll just be a matter of reminding him how it works. First page of the TSP statement breaks down how much was employee vs employer contributions so it’s not guesswork.

Back
Top Bottom