Health at a Glance in Europe 2014

Let's add to the list two more things the Irish do more of and are better at than other Europeans - swearing and drinking. :)

While per capita alcohol consumption in Ireland is higher than the European average, the data show that it ranks fifth in Europe, behind France, Austria, Estonia and Lithuania. The graph below is taken from page 51 of the report.

Swearing statistics are not routinely collected, but anecdotal evidence supports your hypothesis that colourful expletives are frequently used in Ireland. :nonono:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
While per capita alcohol consumption in Ireland is higher than the European average, the data show that it ranks fifth in Europe, behind a France, Austria, Estonia and Lithuania. The graph below is taken from page 51 of the report.

Swearing statistics are not routinely collected, but anecdotal evidence supports your hypothesis that colourful expletives are frequently used in Ireland. :nonono:

I'm really surprised that Italy ranks so low in alcohol consumption... All that wonderful wine, prosecco, grappa (there *is* good grappa but it's not typically sold in touristy shops.)

I know when I visit Italy - I do my part to raise the consumption.

I noticed the chart is based on liters consumed. I would think this would skew the data for beer drinking countries vs wine drinking, not to mention hard alcohol.

I also noticed France is high on the list and I'm assuming is primarily a wine drinking country. If true, that's a lot of wine consumed.

I noticed the chart is based on liters consumed. I would think this would skew the data for beer drinking countries vs wine drinking, not to mention hard alcohol.

I also noticed France is high on the list and I'm assuming is primarily a wine drinking country. If true, that's a lot of wine consumed.

Actually, the measurements are in Litres of pure alcohol sold. From the sidebar on page 50:

Definition and comparability
Alcohol consumption is defined as annual sales of pure alcohol in litres per person aged 15 years and over. The methodology to convert alcohol drinks to pure alcohol may differ across countries. Official statistics do not include unrecorded alcohol consumption, such as home production.

Does nobody bother to read the original reports before making comments?

Half Irish here, please pass the beer:dance:
Actually, the measurements are in Litres of pure alcohol sold. From the sidebar on page 50:

Heck, no, where's the fun in that? Page 50? How long is this report anyway (I know, if I read it I would know, but that's too much like work)?

Half Irish here, please pass the beer:dance:

Heck, no, where's the fun in that? Page 50? How long is this report anyway (I know, if I read it I would know, but that's too much like work)?

And the BEST half no doubt! :clap:

3/4 here. :dance:

The obesity figures (% obese and contribution to disease/death) are staggering. But, even those EU countries with the highest obesity ratios still don't approach the >1-in-3 US citizens who are obese.

:sick:

Of course not. The modern press/blogosphere doesn't so why should we? :)

Well, I do. I'm not an INTJ ex-researcher for nothing, you know! I need DATA! :LOL:

I need the tl;dr version. Or an 8 second sound bite. Anything more is too much.

Definition and comparability
Alcohol consumption is defined as annual sales of pure alcohol in litres per person aged 15 years and over. The methodology to convert alcohol drinks to pure alcohol may differ across countries. Official statistics do not include unrecorded alcohol consumption, such as home production.

Sidebars are hard to read on my phone, but it should have occurred to me that this would have been taken into account. Thank you for the correction.

Back
Top Bottom