Hi 31yo w/ family been planning ER since I was about 19! (Pasadena, CA)

matt_gti

Confused about dryer sheets
I've finally joined the forum after searching and reading through discussions for years. Here's my intro:

Age 31, married since 24, one 5 month old daughter. Probably another child soon.

~230k in 401k and several IRAs
~100k equity in my house (bought last yr)
no debt at all besides house mortgage.
Still saving despite the new expenses of daughter and house

I'm more planning to semi-ER by 45 than to truly ER. I like being an engineer. I like working on projects for customers as a consultant. I had a taste of something resembling semi-ER in 2009 when I took a yr off to travel internationally for over a month, study for a state professional exam, and freelance. It was great. With the current responsibilities of house and family though, I'm back in the corporate grind for the steady pay and benefits. I don't like being in a corporation, which unfortunately is where I expect to be for another 10+yr while I continue to grow my net worth.

Pleasure to join you all. Thanks for the wonderful forums!!!
-Matt

Welcome, Matt. It sounds like you're off to a good start.

Welcome matt_gti! There are a few of us fellow engineers on the board! I'm a Mech E by degree, but Plumbing Engineer by profession. Should have taken the FE back in school like everyone else said to, but had different plans for the future back then. Will likely try to get the FE out of the way perhaps later next year, with the PE in 2013 (?).

Like you, I also enjoy the design side of things. I'm hoping to pull the plug in my mid 40s or so....but currently single, so the unknown future with a wife and kid(s) could adjust those plans slightly. ;)

Welcome. There some ER types in southern Cal on the board here. Even a local Vanguard Bogleheads group. Retired from NASA 3 years ago but I really liked my work, just had some health issues and decided to go do my dreams now.

Back
Top Bottom