Hi, I've got fired today by megacorp...Looking for help...

Or the ee can walk, and deal with the consequences, run the risk, of impact to career, finances, of not winning your case, etc. Legal or otherwise, there is always a human emotional cost to litigation. I've walked away from issues I could, I suppose have litigated, as ee because the potential financial upside wasn't there. I think people overlook this cost of litigating whether it's ee litigation or say a fender bender, where the at fault person has no money. One has to ask whether it's worth the emotional toll to litigate. No? It's simple cost benefit.

And "appearance" of is the legal standard for certain professions, and certain jobs by their legal contract. It's generally not legal to use corporate assets, a credit card for business travel and business purchase, for personal use, such as buying your family's groceries, furniture, travel. Seen a middle manager do this, it was grounds for termination, appropriating corporate asset for personal gain. In the Gov these type rules are usually explicit in your employment.

Last edited:
Did you decide to resign in one meeting? Did you take time to consider it and seek advice? This part does not make sense to me. Maybe you would have been fired with cause and that is being left out. Just go get a regular job without security clearance needed. Take a gap year to explain away your resignation.

Yes, I did some research on this and it appears that something called "structuring" is the main problem. Apparently drug dealers use it to hide big deposits in banks. For example, if you drop $9,000 in one bank and $2000 in another, there's eyes that track the over $10,000 deposit from one source. It's not that you can't deposit $10,000 or more at a time, but you have to fill out papers at banks to divulge where the money came from. Bank Secrecy Act is what started this. From what I read on different sites, structuring is illegal even if the source of the money is not from illegal activities. Yes, I learned a lot too from reading up on this. Apparently also, many thieves steal credit card numbers, then buy massive amounts of gift cards with those stolen credit cards. The gift cards remain good even when the credit card is shut down. So, the thieves sell the credit cards and deposit cash into their accounts in amounts that don't draw the government's attention. This happens frequently across the US according to law enforcement due to the opioid crisis.

I've been using my VISA card to pay for auto and home insurance premiums for a few years now. The insurance company doesn't charge a processing fee. I guess I am MS'ing without intent!:LOL:

All my AmFam premiums are paid by CC. Even my business accounts, several thousand dollars. All at 2% back, no CC charge.

Hopefully the OP has a job by now. I have a cousin that got a SW job after being in prison for 5 years, so it should not be difficult. He had at least three offers, including jobs the probation officer would not let him take.

I would just say the existing job was no longer a match, and personality conflicts were too great. Or I was looking for more responsibility, and it was not offered. I was passed over for a promotion, so I knew I have to leave.
So rather than face working for my former peer, I decided to resign.

Or the ee can walk, and deal with the consequences, run the risk, of impact to career, finances, of not winning your case, etc. Legal or otherwise, there is always a human emotional cost to litigation. I've walked away from issues I could, I suppose have litigated, as ee because the potential financial upside wasn't there. I think people overlook this cost of litigating whether it's ee litigation or say a fender bender, where the at fault person has no money. One has to ask whether it's worth the emotional toll to litigate. No? It's simple cost benefit.

And "appearance" of is the legal standard for certain professions, and certain jobs by their legal contract. It's generally not legal to use corporate assets, a credit card for business travel and business purchase, for personal use, such as buying your family's groceries, furniture, travel. Seen a middle manager do this, it was grounds for termination, appropriating corporate asset for personal gain. In the Gov these type rules are usually explicit in your employment.

I was told to charge something personal on my corporate credit card to keep it active. That was probably over thirty years ago.

I've never looked into MS, but in the secret clearance world, one of the largest things they look at (besides felonies) are individuals with finances that are less than solid (especially lots of debt). MS, coupled with lots of international travel, could certainly make it look like someone is having financial difficulties, and might be tempted to sell something. I try to always avoid even the appearance of impropriety, and to 'do the right thing, even when no one's looking'. Too much to lose.

When I worked at the Pentagon in 2013, I made about $17,000 from MS. It can be very lucrative, with some people earning six figures from MS annually. In 2014, my method of MS involved using the ATM and taking out $2400 in cash and then immediately depositing it in one of the Pentagon's 3 different banks. The whole thing took about 15 minutes per day. Many people in the building were into MS, as evidenced by the shortage of gift cards at the CVS.

This is the first time I heard of someone having clearance issues or losing a job due to MS. I have however, read about store employees calling the police on customers who were constantly purchasing gift cards.

How do you make money from buying gift cards?

I know people do MS with credit cards to get a ton of points, to redeem for air or hotel.

I also know there is a redemption rate for cash but it's often less than getting points or miles.

How do you make money from buying gift cards?

I know people do MS with credit cards to get a ton of points, to redeem for air or hotel.

I also know there is a redemption rate for cash but it's often less than getting points or miles.

The MS is buying gift cards with your credit card to accrue points. I think they consider whatever they redeem the points for is "making money".

Back
Top Bottom