How to make sure you’re getting the lowest cost Rx drugs?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It’s criminal how variable and “non transparent” medical costs are, especially prescription drugs. We’ve all seen examples, we had two recently that left us angrily scratching our heads.

There have been many other anecdotes like those below, so optional reading.

My Part D plan paid for my first 90 pills (1/day) but would not pay for another 36 pills (1/week) to complete my doctor’s recommendation - I found out while standing at the pickup counter at CVS. I asked what the 36 pills would cost, they said $80 - ouch. But the pharmacist could see I wasn’t pleased, though I would have gone ahead, but he said let me see if I can do better. His first hit was $75 and he kept looking. I took out my iPhone and simply searched exact name of drug plus discount - and America’s Pharmacy came back with a page full of other sources with actual prices. All the numbers and details were included. Turns out the Publix Pharmacy across the parking lot had the exact same drug at 42 tablets for $10.81 - that kind of price difference is criminal in my view. CVS transferred the Rx to Publix for me, and I picked them up 15 minutes later.

Two days earlier DW bought an inhaler that was quoted at $290. She went on GoodRx and found it elsewhere for $263, assumed that was the best she could do and bought it. After my $80 > $10.81 experience, she entered her inhaler - found the same inhaler for $8.66 - though 50mcg vs 110mcg to be fair. Still I can’t imagine any justification for such a huge discrepancy.

Not promoting America’s Pharmacy (I’d never heard of them they just came up first on search) or any particular resource, just sharing we’ll be more vigilant than ever with prescriptions from now on…

Last edited:
I use and recommend checking GoodRx prices

It’s criminal how variable and “non transparent” medical costs are, especially prescription drugs. [/B]

I have found that GoodRx prices are lower than my corporate drug plan prices, so I always check GoodRx prices on phone.

My corporate plan also had a $15.00 co-pay minimum that applied even to generic drugs that cost less than $15.00 without insurance. For years I paid $15.00 monthly for a 30-day supply of a generic statin before I compared costs and learned that it was $5.00 without insurance.

Before retiring I met a representative of our pharmacy benefits manager who explained that their job was to help the company save money and that corporations could select from many options that reduced their costs...such as charging above market rates. So, buyer beware!

It’s criminal how variable and “non transparent” medical costs are, especially prescription drugs.
"It's criminal" you say.... Maybe closer to the truth than many of us would care to believe.

I believe I read recently that Pharmacists were actually prohibited by law to tell you of a cheaper alternative way to get a prescription. IF you asked them, they could tell you. But they couldn't initiate that part of the conversation. I believe that law also might have been rescinded or soon might be. Or I could have this all wrong.

Either way, what is described in this thread is just wrong. Everyone admits it, but no one in a power to fix it seems to be able to make it go away.

It's beyond amazing how much CVS and other chain RX stores mark up prescriptions. I always wondered why there was one on just about every street corner. Now I know :)...

GoodRX and services like the one OP mentioned are a great alternative. We also joined the Kroger RX Savings plan for $36 (per person) per year. Some of DW's maintenance meds are "free", and others are either $3, $6 or worst case - $12..and we can often get up to 90 days supply for 2X the insanely discounted cost - ie: 90 days for 2 * $3, just like we used to get through our corporate sponsored healthcare plans..

CVS in my experience is probably the most expensive option (by a LOT) out there in most cases..

Bottom line..prescriptions are one area where it REALLY pays to shop around. And if your healthcare plan has a "procedure code" shopping tool - be sure to use that, also. I found, for example, a difference of literally more than $1,000 for a shoulder MRI in my area. Wound paying $300 instead of $1,400+..

It’s criminal how variable and “non transparent” medical costs are, especially prescription drugs. We’ve all seen examples, we had two recently that left us angrily scratching our heads.

There have been many other anecdotes like those below, so optional reading.

My Part D plan paid for my first 90 pills (1/day) but would not pay for another 36 pills (1/week) to complete my doctor’s recommendation - I found out while standing at the pickup counter at CVS. I asked what the 36 pills would cost, they said $80 - ouch. But the pharmacist could see I wasn’t pleased, though I would have gone ahead, but he said let me see if I can do better. His first hit was $75 and he kept looking. I took out my iPhone and simply searched exact name of drug plus discount - and America’s Pharmacy came back with a page full of other sources with actual prices. All the numbers and details were included. Turns out the Publix Pharmacy across the parking lot had the exact same drug at 42 tablets for $10.81 - that kind of price difference is criminal in my view. CVS transferred the Rx to Publix for me, and I picked them up 15 minutes later.

Two days earlier DW bought an inhaler that was quoted at $290. She went on GoodRx and found it elsewhere for $263, assumed that was the best she could do and bought it. After my $80 > $10.81 experience, she entered her inhaler - found the same inhaler for $8.66 - though 50mcg vs 110mcg to be fair. Still I can’t imagine any justification for such a huge discrepancy.

Not promoting America’s Pharmacy (I’d never heard of them they just came up first on search) or any particular resource, just sharing we’ll be more vigilant than ever with prescriptions from now on…

Thank you for posting this! My asthma medications would skyrocket in price on the Part D plans I’m looking at to start in August.

Here's my experience. DH has heart surgery with a bunch of complications. Finally after about 9 days at 1 PM they say he gets to go home but he needs these meds in hand before you leave the hospital. They send me to the chain pharmacy affiliated with the hospital. 10 days of heart rhythm meds for 150 bucks with insurance. They don't take goodRX, I will pass some places that do take GoodRX on the hour plus drive back home but can't be certain they will have the drug in stock. I hold my nose and pay the extra 100, yes that's right 100 bucks. I don't want the staff hassling me about not having the meds on me. (*to be clear I don't blame the staff in any way)..

The next 3 refills he needed I got locally and the total for those pills was the same amount I paid for the first fill. It royally ticks me off that they can take sick and stressed out people and play wheel of fortune with their medication costs.

Certain blue pills that gentleman take are insanely cheaper with Good Rx. The price varies wildly...best to have your doc give you a paper RX if possible. Actually for any med where you want to price shop paper is best. Gives you a chance to check which chain is cheapest.

Don't get me started on compounded meds. Short version is if a cream contains any amount of OTC element, however microscopic, our insurance will not cover it (military, express scripts bc they do not compound on base). Not a penny. Hpwever, if you get a rx for just the active ingredient (in our case many hundreds of dollars for a tube of which we need one squirt) and mix it with vaseline at home, ins will pay the many hundreds for the tube. This ladies and gentleman is tax dollars seeking the best deal.

Also, compounded med was $350 plus at walgreens (and they "weren't sure how to make it and would have to call central for the recipe"), $55 at a local compounding pharmacy and they knew what the h#ll they were doing

Back
Top Bottom