I gave notice today!

DS.

I'm going to offer that if it were me - unless I really disliked being a doc, I would look for an opportunity to work my hours - even gapped by months to allow travel.

After a lifetime of learning and helping, I don't think I could just sign off.

And, finally, I would be BORED - frankly, I'm a bit bored now, after seven years of not working - and, my skillset is more related to strategy development, and basics like building, electrical work and plumbing :)

Be consider some professional counseling - nah, not that kind - the kind where you meet with other docs and discuss it ...

It would be Walt Disney World for us, but no immediate plans. We actually haven't been there since October 2021 which is the longest we've gone since before we were married and took our first trip together in 1990. I've been somewhat disillusioned with a lot of the recent changes. Also, my wife has had some serious medical issues the past couple of years couple with my 93-year-old mother needing more and more attention. We haven't traveled at all since May 2022 though if all is stable, we will be going to Mexico in just under 2 weeks. If that works out okay, maybe we'll plan our next Disney trip.

I hear you. I’m a Disneyphile as well. All the recent changes at WDW haven’t been for the better. I have been preferring trips to Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland. WDW trips have felt like a chore and a rip off.

Congrats so how rich are you now Doc?
Our portfolio is just over $3.4 million at the moment. That is sufficient to support us without counting SS. And the "plan B" if things aren't working out as well as we'd like will be to start SS whenever it becomes needed even if that's prior to 70 or even prior to FRA but I highly doubt that.

DS.

I'm going to offer that if it were me - unless I really disliked being a doc, I would look for an opportunity to work my hours - even gapped by months to allow travel.

After a lifetime of learning and helping, I don't think I could just sign off.

And, finally, I would be BORED - frankly, I'm a bit bored now, after seven years of not working - and, my skillset is more related to strategy development, and basics like building, electrical work and plumbing :)

Be consider some professional counseling - nah, not that kind - the kind where you meet with other docs and discuss it ...
I will not be bored. I am just not that person.

For all of 2023, I only averaged 6.7 hrs/wk of work so I've been all but retired for well over a year now. Still, I'm busy all the time.

I am also not retiring from my ebay selling so that alone keeps me pretty busy. I go to the gym twice a week and walk outside (or at the mall) another couple of times a week. I do most of the cooking at home. I'm a moderator for another personal finance forum and a group expert for an active ebay FB group. Lots of other things to keep me busy. There are never enough hours in the day to accomplish everything on our To Do list.

Yep - I get the staying busy, thing (several rental houses, couple of HOA boards, rebuilding a vintage motorcycle couple of trips to Europe each year, visits to Aspen Music Festival and children and friends) - but none of that is particularly intellectual 😎

And, compared to my thousands of hours of flight time looking for submarines - miss that intellectual exercise, as well.

Not arguing about your decision, just offering to perhaps keep your intellectual options open.

Not arguing about your decision, just offering to perhaps keep your intellectual options open.

I’m not concerned about the intellectual stuff. I moderate another personal finance forum. I’m a group expert for an eBay sellers group. And my own eBay business leads to lots of research and learning about new things.

I am concerned about the loss of socialization from leaving work. We have a great team and I really enjoy interacting with everyone. It’s also a very diverse team as far as ages and everything else. People from their 20s to 60s. I worked yesterday morning and we were talking and joking and laughing the whole time. I’m not sure how/where to replace that. We would like to get more involved in our synagogue again. We used to be very active and even before COVID had drifted away. My wife also keeps talking about some of the senior programs offered in our town. I’m sure we’ll figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom