If You Need a Drink ...

I have been experimenting with my "private reserve" batch of honey that was from a particular hive at a particular time. It is so good we kept all of that batch, very complex and just a parade of flavors. I have found the recipe for a killer dram: 2/3 cup of honey dissolved in half a cup of water (warm it gently stirring constantly just until it mostly dissolves - goal is to heat the honey as little as possible). Add 1.5 cups of Bulleitt rye whiskey, and let it sit for a couple weeks. The resulting liqueur is simply amazing. I do not get it out often because it is hard not to go through quite a bit of it at one sitting. For the non-beekeepers, I would search out top shelf, raw white tupelo honey to make this.

I make the same basic recipe with vodka. It is a more pure expression of the honey, but I don't think it is as interesting.

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea.

We carry some dehydrated water with us at all times...although we find it's easy to misplace........but, then again, just as easy to replace.

Lewis Black on bottled water.
To me the funniest part starts @ 7.00

*Warning: Profanity

^ :LOL::LOL:

You don't. Honestly if they called it "nut juice" how would it sell?

I am actually amazed that our 'gubmint' which regulates thinks like what is real cheese, permits any of this factory made stuff to be called 'milk'.

I've seen labels for cheese, process cheese, process cheese food and even process cheese food product. Then there is also process cheese spread.

Given the above how can almond, soy, etc. be called milk? Drink it if one likes, but it is not anything near milk.

https://www.tillamook.com/community/promotions/yes-to-natural-cheese.html

I am actually amazed that our 'gubmint' which regulates thinks like what is real cheese, permits any of this factory made stuff to be called 'milk'.

I've seen labels for cheese, process cheese, process cheese food and even process cheese food product. Then there is also process cheese spread.

Given the above how can almond, soy, etc. be called milk? Drink it if one likes, but it is not anything near milk.

https://www.tillamook.com/community/promotions/yes-to-natural-cheese.html
Milk is a word that is in transition, I think. Words do that sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk

Terminology
The term milk is also used for white colored, non-animal beverages resembling milk in color and texture (milk substitutes) such as soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, and coconut milk. In addition, a substance secreted by pigeons to feed their young is called "crop milk" and bears some resemblance to mammalian milk, although it is not consumed as a milk substitute. Dairy relates to milk and milk production, e.g. dairy products. Milk can be synthesized in a laboratory, from water, fatty acids and proteins.

Another honey-booze concoction that I routinely make is a bees' knees. I put 2 cups of gin and a half cup of honey in a mason jar and shake the snot out of it until the honey is fully dissolved. Two ounces of this mixture with 3/4 oz. of freshly squeezed lemon juice (preferably meyer lemon) shaken with ice and strained is a bees' knees, a Prohibition-era cocktail originally intended to cover up the lousy taste of bathtub gin. Made with very good honey and a not-too-juniper gin, it is really lovely.

Red beer. Tomato juice and beer.

Ha. I've found that to be the case as well. As far as acid reflux goes, I'm trying to adjust to some low acid coffee. Taste a little weak but not unexpected. I can adjust.

Have you tried coffee with chicory? Strong flavor, mixes well with dark roasts. My MIL and I love it, but the rest of my family is not so enamored. I had it for the first time when I visited NOLA a last year and I've gone through 3 cans of it from Amazon since.

Other than a couple cups of coffee in the morning and the "occasional" beer or shot, the only thing I drink is water.

Back
Top Bottom