iOS/iPadOS 17

GalaxyBoy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I haven’t seen a thread on this yet, unless it’s buried in the iPhone 15 thread somewhere. Mods, please move/merge if I missed it.

I upgraded both iPhone 11’s, my iPad Air gen 4 and DW’s brand new iPad; all are working perfectly so far. Not sure there’s a lot of new features that wow me, but at least the security updates are done. Haven’t seen a voicemail yet to test the new live voicemail transcription.

It looks like those on iOS 16 are still getting updates. We just updated our iPhone 13s to iOS 16.7. For now, iOS 17 is optional on iPhone 13. I'm not sure how long that will remain the case.

The same is true for my iPad Pro 11" (3rd Gen).

Last edited:
I don't want to go overboard, but here are few of the new features that I'm using.

1. Shared password groups

This builds on Apple's password management. You could already share passwords across your various Apple devices. Now you can safely share them with other people. So now DW and I share the passwords to a few important financial and other accounts. We keep most of our passwords private, but a few are now shared so we don't have to resort to other, less secure, ways to share common account passwords.

To do it, you go into Settings > Passwords and add a new password group (press +) and invite whomever you want to share your passwords with. You can have more than one group.

2. Live Voicemail

When people are leaving a voicemail, the iPhone will transcribe and show it in real time. This basically lets you screen calls like in the olden day of using an answering machine. If you want, you can pick up the call while they are still on the line leaving the voice mail.

Settings > Phone > Live Voicemail

3. Pets

The Photos app has let you organize your photos by person for a long time with its People section showing photos that contain certain people. Now it's the "People and Pets" section.

It'll identify your cats and dogs and treat them just like your friends and family, making it easy to view them in the Album section of Photos.

I have updated my iPhone, but am not really a techno, so looking forward to reading any new things here.
(thanks mpeirce for your feature notes)

One more I forgot. This feature is small, but honestly it is maybe my favorite:

Previously it would fill in the verification code you get when logging into many sites. That's handy and all, but Messages would leave the message containing the verification code as a "new message". You'd have to clean it all up later. Annoying.

Now it cleans this up automatically: the verification code arrives, you use it in your login process, and no little crumbs left to be cleaned up later.

It lets the computer do the work. As it should.

Last edited:
I appreciate offline maps, but what I’d really like to see are better reviews.

The only reason I use Google Maps is when I’m looking for a restaurant/cafe in an unfamiliar area. Google’s results are superior.

I have been running the beta on all my devices since WWDC. Mac Mini, iPad, MacBook Air, iPhone 13. Very few glitches experienced this entire time!

Back
Top Bottom