IRA to Roth Conversion - another question

megacorp-firee

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A question on IRA to Roth conversion when you reach 70 1/2 and have to take RMDs from the IRA.
1) can you convert IRA funds to Roth after you reach 70 1/2
2) If you want to convert more IRA money to a Roth after you reach 70 1/2, does the amount you convert have to be in addition to the RMD amount?

For example (made up numbers);
$1M in IRA. @ age 70 1/2 the rmd is 37k and have to pay taxes on that.
If I want to convert 20k that year, then do I have to take out at total of 57k (37k+20k)?

Thanks.

Very interesting question and I'm finding conflicting answers. The only reason I could think of why you couldn't do this, is if the money withdrawn put you over the limit on annual earnings, which would prevent you from contributing to a Roth.
As long as you're paying taxes on the distribution, why would it matter if you roll it to a Roth? Are you currently employed?

Very interesting question and I'm finding conflicting answers. The only reason I could think of why you couldn't do this, is if the money withdrawn put you over the limit on annual earnings, which would prevent you from contributing to a Roth.
As long as you're paying taxes on the distribution, why would it matter if you roll it to a Roth? Are you currently employed?
nope, I'm FIREd.
... and I don't think that the dollars you convert are counted towards the earnings limit for conversion.

Hmmmmm, who to believe? Conflicting reports.

Back
Top Bottom