Is 80 the new 60? 'It's the triumph of aging' — but not for everyone

Last night, I had a two-hour talk with a college-age cousin who said almost exactly the same thing (I'm beginning to suspect there's a script issued to younger people).

My message to him is that social media is a two-edged sword: While it's wonderful to exchange photos and news at the speed of electrons, and look up any fact you want on your hand-held device, beware of the great time suck.

The generation that sent people to the moon, had only TV and papers to distract them. Nowadays we (and they, if alive) have far more enticing distractions...beware that they don't consume your intellect and your life.

I don't think 80 is the new 60. Rather 50 is the new 60.

These days stress (mental stress) of a Job consumes one's energy more than it used to in old days. More people burn out at work than they used to.

In olden days, one income family lived happily. Now, dual income families are struggling to meet (illusionary) societal expectations. Society is living on drugs (whether ADHD, stimulants, anti-anxiety and many others).

Few decades back, we made it to moon. Now we celebrate if we send a rocket in outer space. Earlier, we invented new things all the time. Now innovation involves apps to post pictures of what food someone had for lunch and share that with social friends.

And no.. I am not a boomer. Just another (almost) burnt-out cog in the machine.

My message to him is that social media is a two-edged sword: While it's wonderful to exchange photos and news at the speed of electrons, and look up any fact you want on your hand-held device, beware of the great time suck.

Thankfully, this place does't count in the time-suck department! :facepalm::LOL:

I do believe the part in the article the gut, "Perls thinks it’s a pretty sure bet that different populations of bacteria in the gut and the substances those bacteria produce are playing a role in slowing or accelerating aging."

We've been doing gut, organic acid and nutrition testing and found quite a bit off that so far all seems correctable. My gut is getting in much better shape now than it was at age 30 because I've been able to tailor my diet better. I'm hoping the rest of the body follows, but either way it is all in the can't hurt will likely help category.

You are what you eat. Most people show it.

Bill Maher had an interesting monologue recently. Titled "Fat Acceptance". You can find it on YouTube. He was pretty blunt.

I agree that medicine can keep you upright longer, but I don't see much "health" in 60s, 70s. More like "getting by".

Wow. I just listened to this. He's preaching to the choir in my case. Despite being very active, BMI under 20 and healthy eating habits, I developed leaky heart valves a couple of years ago at age 67. Cardiologist says it was a Stuff Happens thing- nothing I caused. Fortunately he's very supportive of all the cardio exercise I do.

But, when I mention in on-line discussions the need to eat healthy and maintain a healthy body weight (I know BMI is only a rough measure of that), I get flamed for "fat-shaming". When I pick up my 5-year old granddaughter (maybe 40 lbs?) my whole body feels it- my back, my heart, my knees- I can't carry her very far. Then I wonder what it does to your body to carry 50-100 lbs. of extra weight around 24/7.

I'm listening to a Peter Attia podcast on exercise and fitness in old age. As expected, being more fit increases your longevity but it's a bit chicken-and-egg. People who have underlying conditions that are more likely to shorten their life spans are less likely to stay fit. And, as mentioned earlier, cancer is the wild card.

These days stress (mental stress) of a Job consumes one's energy more than it used to in old days. More people burn out at work than they used to.

In olden days, one income family lived happily. Now, dual income families are struggling to meet (illusionary) societal expectations. Society is living on drugs (whether ADHD, stimulants, anti-anxiety and many others).

Few decades back, we made it to moon. Now we celebrate if we send a rocket in outer space. Earlier, we invented new things all the time. Now innovation involves apps to post pictures of what food someone had for lunch and share that with social friends.

Think you are Cherry picking here.

Yes we went to the moon, not much reason to return. In the last few years we've landed on a comet, deployed the J. Webb telescope, and populated Mars with robots.

Here on Earth we have cut the number of people living in abject poverty in half since 1990. Cell phones can be a time suck, but I have access to more information than the Library of Congress in my pocket.

That’s a overly rosy view of the good old days. My parents and grandparents lived through the depression and fought in world wars. Then they worked blue collar jobs that provided for their families but shortened their lives because of the work conditions.

The women didn’t have many labor saving devices and housework was a lot of work. Many were bored, depressed without jobs and women couldn’t get a CC in their names until the 70’s. Better not need daycare as it was mostly nonexistent. Many things were more expensive versus income. People just had lower expectations.

I love hearing all these stories about you 70+ kids kicking butt! Makes me feel optimistic :)

And, as mentioned earlier, cancer is the wild card.
And it seems more and more types of cancers (not all) are becoming treatable/curable, or at least effectively mitigated for extended periods of time. (as in decades in many cases). Same with many other diseases and aliments. Cures, treatments, replacement parts, transplants, etc. Makes me wonder what medicine will be able to do in the coming years. All of this is fine (IMO) until the old body is just worn out and/or the mind is too far gone. Sometimes I think these treatments/drugs add there own wear and tear too. All trade-offs I guess.

Last edited:
Now to change the subject slightly, I saw a blurb on TV that indicated Viagara was a potential preventive of Alzheimers disease. I googled and found a few articles that seemed to confirm the concept though there are no double blind clinical studies listed that I could find.

Oh, and there should be no reason that women would not benefit as much as men, and IIRC, women are more likely to get Alz. (possibly, simply because they live longer, but I don't know if that has been established.) Apparently, the increase blood flow in blood vessels is theorized as the reason Viagara is a preventive. I wonder if the other ED treatments would work as they have different side-effect profiles.

I would probably try eye of newt, essence of skunk or even floor sweepings if I could avoid Alz. I've seen way too many people go through Alz. and it is sad to tragic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59546948

YMMV

Now to change the subject slightly, I saw a blurb on TV that indicated Viagara was a potential preventive of Alzheimers disease. I googled and found a few articles that seemed to confirm the concept though there are no double blind clinical studies listed that I could find.

Oh, and there should be no reason that women would not benefit as much as men, and IIRC, women are more likely to get Alz. (possibly, simply because they live longer, but I don't know if that has been established.) Apparently, the increase blood flow in blood vessels is theorized as the reason Viagara is a preventive. I wonder if the other ED treatments would work as they have different side-effect profiles.

I would probably try eye of newt, essence of skunk or even floor sweepings if I could avoid Alz. I've seen way too many people go through Alz. and it is sad to tragic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59546948

YMMV

Yes. I would want the dosage for women established to minimize side effects and I would be off and running.

A lot of the above are choices. Granted, society in general and advertising in particular makes us think we need a lot more than we do. The surprise during the Covid lock down was that people discovered we don't need all that stuff.

I am not so pessimistic. The other day chatting with a friend I found out that her kids are off on some new trip around the globe. I wondered out loud why I didn't do the same when I was that age. She reminded me of the answer - air fare were far higher in terms of hours worked than they are today. Besides we now land rocket boosters and Mr. Musk is working on a fully reusable rocket. I suppose one can waste one's time on apps, but, again, that is a choice.

When you get in your 70's, there are often things beyond your control happening. Remember that God is really in control.

Out of my 5 closest friends growing up, three passed on at 58, 70 and 72 of cancer.

Out of my brother in law's 8 closest friends, only one is alive @ 73 years of age. There again, it was cancer on them all. Hard living and drinking wasn't kind to them.

I was down at the graveyard the other day, and my grandparents and great aunts/uncles live to be 85-90 on average. My mother made 91 with a terrible heart, and my aunt made 99 3/4. It's nice to know there is some longevity in one's family background.

Back
Top Bottom