Issue Checking Tire Pressure At Costco

Lots of new cars today have pressure monitors.

I always wondered what people do without an air compressor.

Me too! I have two air compressors. One is a small, portable unit that I use with my brad and finish nail gun, small painting jobs, and for filling air mattresses, sports balls (neighbor's kids) and general shop use. It's not an "oiless' cheap unit like you can pick up for $100 and Harbor Freight, but a contractor grade unit that cost near $300.

The second one is a 5 HP, 230 volt, two stage unit with a 30 gallon tank that I have had since 1977. It was used for painting cars, house and fence painting, and general use. It's big, in my shop, and still works like day one. I really don't need it anymore, but it's a good back up.

For auto/truck tires, the manufacturer's ratings plate located on the door jam, usually driver's side, contains the COLD tire pressures recommended with factory OEM tires and wheels. You should follow those recommendations. Like said above, for about $15 one can buy a good quality air pressure gauge and be satisfied that your tires are properly filled.

Also as mentioned above, NEVER fill a vehicle tire to the maximum operating pressure that is noted on the tire sidewall. That pressure is for severe tire use and for a vehicle that recommends that tire size and that operating pressure. The vast majority of vehicles we drive are such that the maximum tire pressure rating on the tire's sidewall will not be applicable.

I always wondered what people do without an air compressor.

We didn't have one when I was growing up so when I was old enough to be concerned with tire pressures I'd just stop at a gas station (compressed air was free in those days) on the way home from somewhere and deliberately over inflate the tires by ~8 lbs or so. Then the next morning when still stone cold before the car was driven I'd check and adjust the tire pressures as needed.

Frugal, and it works.

Later when funds allowed I did spring for a compressor.

Lots of new cars today have pressure monitors.

Their accuracy is questionable. After awhile I learned mine reports 15% less than a presumed accurate measurement confirmed via multiple tire valve gauges.

For those who care:

In recent years, auto companies changed the way they monitor tire pressures. In the past, a pressure module on the valve stem (internal part) fed data wirelessly to the Auto's computer (ECU) and pressure differentials were monitored for a deviation outside of a set tolerance.

The newer system monitors revolutions and speed of the "ABS ring" (antilock brake system) mounted on each wheel hub (inside part) and compares the differences per wheel speed variation. When the set tolerance of deviation is met (2% above average), the ECU triggers a fault. This is known as the "indirect TPMS" system. A brief video explains how it works.

Tire pressure monitoring systems - ppt video online download

Bottom line is newer cars won't have the old style TPMS monitors in the valve stems and tire dealers shouldn't be trying to charge you a hefty fee to "rebuild" those old TPMS monitors (all they did was change a $0.20 O-Ring). :rolleyes:

For those who care:

In recent years, auto companies changed the way they monitor tire pressures. In the past, a pressure module on the valve stem (internal part) fed data wirelessly to the Auto's computer (ECU) and pressure differentials were monitored for a deviation outside of a set tolerance.

The newer system monitors revolutions and speed of the "ABS ring" (antilock brake system) mounted on each wheel hub (inside part) and compares the differences per wheel speed variation. When the set tolerance of deviation is met (2% above average), the ECU triggers a fault. This is known as the "indirect TPMS" system. A brief video explains how it works.

Tire pressure monitoring systems - ppt video online download

Bottom line is newer cars won't have the old style TPMS monitors in the valve stems and tire dealers shouldn't be trying to charge you a hefty fee to "rebuild" those old TPMS monitors (all they did was change a $0.20 O-Ring). :rolleyes:

I can't see the video right now, but I thought it was the other way around? Direct is required now, whereas indirect isn't allowed anymore.

My 2000 GM product had indirect using the ABS system. Worked fine, and requires no extra hardware like the direct systems.

EDIT: a quick search shows that indirect is making a comeback in Europe, where it easily passes muster. If it can pass the regs in the USA, it can be used. I guess we'll see. I personally like the simplicity of not having that transmitter in each tire.

Last edited:
I can't see the video right now, but I thought it was the other way around? Direct is required now, whereas indirect isn't allowed anymore.

My 2000 GM product had indirect using the ABS system. Worked fine, and requires no extra hardware like the direct systems.

EDIT: a quick search shows that indirect is making a comeback in Europe, where it easily passes muster. If it can pass the regs in the USA, it can be used. I guess we'll see. I personally like the simplicity of not having that transmitter in each tire.

My German car has the indirect system (2017 VW). I guess it passed the U.S. regs or it wouldn't be on my car.

:) If you have a lot of patience. A 3hp compressor works well too.

+1

That is an amazing company. Beyond excellent. Employee motivation is maybe the best I have ever seen. They also resolve problems either with great generosity or at no cost at all. It is literally the only national company where I have any loyalty at all.

I agree and have purchased my tires at Discount for the last 20+ years. I wanted chrome wheels on my truck and could not decide which two I liked best. Sales guys let put both wheels on and see which one you like.

Some trivia: the last Air Force One pilot became Discounts's chief pilot.

Pressure will vary 1psi with approximately 10 degrees change in air temperature, so if the tires are hot from driving you will end up with a lower pressure when they cool. This is also why all of our tire pressure warning lights come on in cold winter weather and we have to add air or at least drive a little until the tires warm up and the light goes off.

The recommended tire pressure is when they are cold, not warmed up. If the low pressure warning is coming on, then your tires need air BEFORE you drive.

I usually target about 2 psi higher than the manufacturer recommendation on the door jamb label.... I presume that the extra 2 psi slightly increases mileage with negligible impact on performance.

I do the same but at 4 psi...

The recommended tire pressure is when they are cold, not warmed up. If the low pressure warning is coming on, then your tires need air BEFORE you drive. ...
Sorry. It is just not that critical. It is not a good idea to drive for long periods with seriously underinflated tires because it tends to wear the the tread edges more than the center but in cold weather that is really the only consideration. Underinflation will also result in more sidewall flex and hence a little hotter tire (due to hysteresis effect in the rubber). In extreme cases it is possible to overheat a tire; the ultimate is driving on a flat tire and having it catch on fire. But a little extra sidewall flex in cold weather is not a crisis either.

Back
Top Bottom