Jaw pulling to side and orthodontic Devices

Teacher Terry

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
To make a long story short my jaw started pulling to the left 8 years ago when an orthopedic surgeon propped my mouth open too far to put in an implant supported denture (4 on 4). After the surgery I could barely open my mouth so went to physical therapy and also had dry needling which was very painful. I finally was able to open it enough to eat.

Fast forward to now and the implants are on the bottom and my denture on top. The pulling is making it so my dentures meet and I am wearing it out on one side and the denture is not making contact in some places anymore. My dentist now has a medical side that she specializes in and said that with an orthopedic device that they can pull my jaw back into position which will allow my teeth to line up. The price ranges from 9k-14k depending on if I need both a day and night device.

Has anyone tried this and did it work? On the con side that’s a lot of money for me but I have it in savings. On the plus side since my friend left me 20k and I have only spent 5k on a trip I could use that money without spending any of my other savings.

ouch, that sounds like you went through a painful experience!
Looks like you have the finances, so that's not a worry.
Best of luck in your quest. Dental device advancements are amazing. DH is using one for his apnea, so far seems to be Ok.

Have you tried a chiropractor? I went to one because of my tmj/ jaw clenching which is now throwing off my bite.
Not sure it helped me but everyone is different.

I am going to ask my chiropractor when I see him next week.

I hope your chiropractor can help.
If not maybe acupuncture?
Acupuncture really helped me with my muscles in upper neck and head.
Of course I went to him for help with tinnitus and it didn’t help that[emoji23]

I had many sessions of dry needling which is much more difficult and invasive but similar than acupuncture and that didn’t work. I think I tried my chiropractor years ago when it first happened and it didn’t work but will ask him again. It’s an injury by the oral surgeon so much worse than tension.

That has got to be miserable. I’m so sorry that you are suffering with it.
For quality of life if that device is the only thing that will work it is totally worth the cost.

Terrible to hear how some dental work hurt your jaw.

I would get a second opinion, and I hope this is not the same dentist that injured you in the first place. I would not use the dentist that caused the injury (or it should be free).

Lastly, I'd question this fix more, as in how many have they done, how long was the training to do it (not a weekend course?), provide past patient references. You certainly don't want to be the 1st patient.

The doctor that injured me was the oral surgeon. When you get an implant supported denture (4 on 4) a dentist and oral surgeon each work on you because their roles are separate but they have to consult during the process.

The dentist will no longer work with this oral surgeon and uses a different one. I was really hoping others would respond with their experience but maybe the situation is more rare than I think.

I had a bit of a different situation, not caused by a surgeon but rather my bite guard. After wearing it normally one night (~ year ago) my jaw felt like it was pulling to one side and jutting forward. Very weird and would not go away- finally went to dentist and he confirmed something was going on. He didn’t know what to do but suggested I go see an oral surgeon, which of course I had no intention of doing! So I DIY my treatment with advil and my wife massaging the jaw and gently working it side to side, back and forth. Unconventional but it worked for me!

Is there any way to get treatment covered under "medical" as opposed to dental?

(No one I know has discussed this particular problem with me, although teeth issues are common.)

Marie, if I was willing to have surgery but I am not.

So saw my chiropractor yesterday and with one adjustment he was able to move my jaw some and also gave me exercises to do daily. I see him every 2 weeks for my back so will have him keep adjusting my jaw also. He said it would have been easier 8 years ago when it first happened but it didn’t occur to me that he could help.

Prostitution is legal here and it’s gotten around with the hookers that chiropractors can adjust jaws so not that unusual in their practices:)).

So saw my chiropractor yesterday and with one adjustment he was able to move my jaw some and also gave me exercises to do daily. I see him every 2 weeks for my back so will have him keep adjusting my jaw also. He said it would have been easier 8 years ago when it first happened but it didn’t occur to me that he could help.

Prostitution is legal here and it’s gotten around with the hookers that chiropractors can adjust jaws so not that unusual in their practices:)).

- I am glad that it helped.

- That would not have occurred to me. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom