Just joined...looking to retire in 1 year

Hey Blue Skies,

We are looking at NW AR for retirement also. We have family in the area, love the natural beauty and the cost of living. Not so sure about the humidity however. The city-data site has a lot of good info in their NWA forum if you haven't found that yet. There is a very active poster who lives in BV too.

I realized this thread was started years ago when I got to the part about CD's earning 5% interest.

Before ER, my job required traveling 90% of the time to places like So. California, Seattle, Virginia, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and all over the southeast U.S.

An incredible number of Californians continue to move out of the state--Arizona, Oregon and Austin, Texas area. Nashville, TN also has enough ex-Los Angeles musicians and actors to be called The Third Coast. They seem to be looking for a healthier, quieter lifestyle in order to avoid temptations of Los Angeles. And housing costs and taxation allow a much higher lifestyle. Steven Tyler moved to Nashville a couple of years ago and is completely bowled over by the creativity of the music world there.

I've traveled Arkansas extensively over the years, and the northwest corner of the state is one of the fastest growing places in the U.S. I think there are now more people there than in Little Rock. For those looking for the really quiet life, the AR/MO state line is hard to beat with incredible lakes. With so many people moving there (Walmart/Tyson Foods), the housing market is reasonable and most really nice houses are relatively new. And the people are the nicest I've ever met.

Last edited:
This has been fun for me to read and remember the fear I felt back in 2007. I came back to California, bought a home in 2012. I am extremely blessed that it has appreciated faster than I could have hoped for at the time. The IRA has increased more than I thought it would. Have made two trips this summer to investigate other communities. Still like Bella Vista. Also considering Bartlesville, Oklahoma. All of my family except my sister have left California in the past 2 years, going to the Austin, TX area or Tulsa area. I am hoping to put my home on the market next spring and head to somewhere in Oklahoma, Texas or Arkansas. The web community has really helped me, and I have gained so much information from reading the many posters here. Thank you.
Why Bartlesville?

Bartlesville on the list because of family members who live there.

I had Allied Van Lines give me a quote yesterday to move to Bartlesville. Reasonable rate but I intend on getting rid of even more items before the move.

The guy from Allied said that the number one destination for Californians is Bend, Oregon, followed by Austin, Texas. He said it is much, much cheaper to move from Bend or Austin to California. So many trucks leaving CA the cost is more.

Austin, Bartlesville and NW Ark. are all good choices and all fairly different, socially, politically, culturally. I'm familiar with all of them. It really depends on what you're looking for. What are your top five qualifiers?

Blue Skies, are you retiring for good now or will you work PT at a new location? Have a good move!

aida2003
I will work part time. My goal is to buy a home where I can foster dogs and cats, spend more time in AA being of service and giving back what was so freely given to me, and slowing down. No more 70 hours a week. Part time work would be great. My biggest concern for the future, and future expenses, is the cost of health insurance and medical care.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom