Kansas City suggestions?

From Sunny.

Umm, do tell. We have been going to KC as a weekend getaway for almost 20 years now and mostly do BBQ or somewhat Italian (Cinzetis, and Jaspers would be real Italian I guess). Recently we have been enjoying a few different Jose Pepper Cactus grill locations, as well as Chuy's in Olathe. Are there more Southwest style mexican places around?[/QUOTE]

Sunny, you are missing a lot if you’re only going to Jose Pepper or Chuy’s. Not that either one is bad.

Southwest Boulevard has several mainstay Mexican places. A couple of my favorites around there are Manny’s or Ponac’s. Just west across Broadway from the Kaufman center is Los Tules which is excellent. Up north towards the airport are Ixtapa or Abuela’s.

I imagine others will join in.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but none of those museums are really very appealing to me. Surely there's more to do in KC than eat barbeque. It's actually a big, sophisticated city in the middle of the U.S.

None of the museums appeal to me either, but BBQ and craft beer are always great!

From Sunny.

Umm, do tell. We have been going to KC as a weekend getaway for almost 20 years now and mostly do BBQ or somewhat Italian (Cinzetis, and Jaspers would be real Italian I guess). Recently we have been enjoying a few different Jose Pepper Cactus grill locations, as well as Chuy's in Olathe. Are there more Southwest style mexican places around?

Sunny, you are missing a lot if you’re only going to Jose Pepper or Chuy’s. Not that either one is bad.

Southwest Boulevard has several mainstay Mexican places. A couple of my favorites around there are Manny’s or Ponac’s. Just west across Broadway from the Kaufman center is Los Tules which is excellent. Up north towards the airport are Ixtapa or Abuela’s.

I imagine others will join in.[/QUOTE]

+1 on three of my favorite Mexican places in KC. Add in Los Corrales in KCMO, it has been there for about 70 years.

Of course there's a lot of other places on SW Blvd, all excellent.

If you're a dog lover, don't miss the new BarK Dog Bar: https://www.barkdogbar.com/

They charge the dogs - humans get in free. They have a very nice bar with lots of tap beers, and the food is pretty darned good too, with lots of TVs for watching games. Lots of out-of-towners show up, sans dog, just to see this place. Warning: it's jam packed on the weekends and many evenings, depending on the musical acts they have booked.

If you're a dog lover, don't miss the new BarK Dog Bar: https://www.barkdogbar.com/

They charge the dogs - humans get in free. They have a very nice bar with lots of tap beers, and the food is pretty darned good too, with lots of TVs for watching games. Lots of out-of-towners show up, sans dog, just to see this place. Warning: it's jam packed on the weekends and many evenings, depending on the musical acts they have booked.

My son lives in KC and said he enjoys going there with his Greyhound.

LC's is a must do for beef burnt ends. Whenever I go to KC, I always take an extra $100 to get a tray of it to bring home for the freezer. Vacuum seal in serving size portions and drop bag and all in water filled crock pot to re-heat. The place doesn't look like much, but it's the place to go for burnt ends.

I've been here in KC for 18 years.
I'm a fan of BB's lawnside for BBQ, usually some good Blues on the weekends.
Always good to hit the McGonigals food truck.
Mexican I'm a fan Dos De Oros.
Italian is Lidia's

Glore museum is an interesting place if you into that kind of thing.
Steam boat Arabia, I went for the first time this year, impressive and they are still cleaning and adding to the collection. Impressive place.
WW1 great museum I liked it better than WW2 in Nola.
For a day trip you could also go to Omaha, the zoo is the best in the midwest. They also have a Airforce SAC museum.

Take a slow drive down ward parkway in KCMO and enjoy the beautiful houses.

A friend who w*rked with me in KCMO reposted this on social media. I'd never seen the letter before, but the author absolutely nailed KC. This was from the 2014 World Series.

"Letter to the editor in today's The Kansas City Star ...
Royals treatment
I am a San Franciscan and a Giants fan who attended game six of the World Series in Kansas City.
Let me just say that never in my life have I enjoyed being so terribly outnumbered and, by evening’s end, absolutely clubbed into submission.
From the moment I hit the parking lot at Kauffman Stadium in my Giants gear, folks made a point to walk over, introduce themselves, welcome us to Kansas City and wish us good luck. People offered to buy us beer and brats.
Most mind-bending was the woman who apologized for the lopsided score.
My wife and our friends spent the better part of our flight home marveling at the generosity and warmth of the Royals fans and wondering whether we’d dropped into a parallel universe.
At some point, I recall announcing to my wife that I was prepared to move to Kansas City as soon as possible.
They refer to your part of the country as “flyover states.” Folks should make a point to actually drop in to Kansas City for a heaping helping of an America most people only dream about.
John Pritzker
San Francisco"

Back
Top Bottom