Kitchen faucet replacement easy DIY?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a reverse osmosis filter for our drinking/cooking water. See attached picture of the counter-top faucet for that. The handle open-close handle is a bit loose, so I may replace the faucet. My DIY efforts are more limited these days, but I think this would be an easy one for me. Can I replace this from the top, simply by unscrewing the faucet?
I did a test 1/4 turn and it does move. Of course I know I have to shut off the water. So, can I remove this from the top, and simply undo whatever water connection it has? Squeezing under the sink is not easy for me nowadays, so if that's necessary I'll have to hire someone.

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 15
Doubt it. Suspect a nut or clip underneath and you are just rotating the faucet and retaining nut.

Doubt it. Suspect a nut or clip underneath and you are just rotating the faucet and retaining nut.

Agree. Someone is going to have to get under the sink to get that out.

It's easy if you can get under the sink, and are able to raise your arms over your head to reach the underside of the faucet. I've got a tear in my shoulder, am kinda sorta largeish in the middle, and need cheater glasses for everything.

It's not hard, you just need to be a contortionist.

a head lamp is very helpful also, or other broad bright lighting.

And the sink will be in front of the attachment point, making it even more of a body contortion to reach and do.

Thanks, everyone. Years ago I would tackle this from underneath. It's not just the contortion, but I won't risk any strain to my chest (post heart surgery from 2022) so I guess I'll get a plumber. I have to remember that's why I FIREd, so I don't worry about these smallish $$$$ things.

To replace the faucet you will have to remove the water line and keeper nut on the bottom of the faucet. To do this someone will need to get under the sink. As an alternative to replacing the faucet, you might be able to replace the control ceramic insert in the faucet handle assembly from above using a small hex wrench (if the faucet is built so that it can be repaired). Look for a small hole with a slot for a hex driver around the handle assembly to see if the handle is repairable.

Good plan. The plumber won't be cheap. So, don't cheap out on the faucet, and hopefully you will not have to replace again for a long time.

The handle open-close handle is a bit loose, so I may replace the faucet.

Look for a small hole with a slot for a hex driver around the handle assembly to see if the handle is repairable.

If the only problem is that it “is a bit loose”, definitely look for that little bolt and see if you can just tighten it. It usually takes a small Allen wrench to tighten it up. That would be a simple repair. Note, there might be a little plug or cover covering the screw so look for that too as it might need removed before you can get to the screw.

Plumbers are expensive and hard to schedule. I would think this falls into handy-man territory as it might just need to be tightened again. If not, it's something any reasonably skilled handy-person could handle.

If you do hire a plumber, have him inspect/replace anything under the sink now so you don't have another service call in 6 months. Replace all metal drain piping; replace with the PVC. check to see if your shutoffs really shut off; replace those as well. I always did that sort of thing in between tenants, it eliminated emergencies and call backs.

Also, I found that putting down something in front of cabinet like a older sofa cushion in a plastic bag raised the floor level up to the bottom of the kitchen cabinet, and eliminated 99% of the contortion aspects of the job. The cushion stayed clean and dry, and I didn't hurt afterward.

Did anyone mention a basin wrench? You may need one!

Although my loose faucet needed me to put a screw back in. It has 2 screws that go up into the faucet body from below, and one fell out. Which setup seemed weird to me. Hard to start a screw with my left hand too.

I have a reliable plumber, a local company been around for years. Usually charge about $150 for an hour of labor, and this would be one of those. Just let them know it's a tight space so send the guy who can fit. I've had one show up one time whose forearm could not get behind the sink for that kind of job.

I have a reliable plumber, a local company been around for years. Usually charge about $150 for an hour of labor, and this would be one of those. Just let them know it's a tight space so send the guy who can fit. I've had one show up one time whose forearm could not get behind the sink for that kind of job.

Get the person that fits. :LOL:

I'm sure they would tell you they have to pay for their truck, tools, supplies, insurance, and on and on. Two guys and a truck with tools = $1000 a day or more. $150 an hour is about right these days I guess. Or, go to the diy chatroom. :D

The handle open-close handle is a bit loose, so I may replace the faucet.

If it's just your handle that is loose, it might be the nut holding the cartridge on or the cartridge itself is going bad. See below video which appears to be like the faucet in your picture on how to approach identifying and fixing the issue:

Last edited:
If you DIY, you may want to get a basin wrench to help loosen the nut. If the basin nut is metal, it may be rusted tight. I end up cutting off my last 2 kitchen faucets with a Saws-all and Dremel with a mini cutoff wheel, working from above the countertop. Not recommeded for most folks. What a pain! If the nut is plastic, it's normally a lot easier to undo. Next time I'll probably call a plumber.

If it's just your handle that is loose, it might be the nut holding the cartridge on or the cartridge itself is going bad. See below video which appears to be like the faucet in your picture on how to approach identifying and fixing the issue:

I will give this a try, thank you!

Also, I found that putting down something in front of cabinet like a older sofa cushion in a plastic bag raised the floor level up to the bottom of the kitchen cabinet, and eliminated 99% of the contortion aspects of the job. The cushion stayed clean and dry, and I didn't hurt afterward.

+1
Using something to "raise" the floor to the cupboard height works really well to make it a log easier and comfortable.

Last time I used an extremely low bench, like a foot stool only lower and a lot longer.

Next time I try the couch cushion in a bag :flowers:

This is definitely a good tip. I hired a guy to put my last faucet in. This guy couldn't fit under the sink much less reach up to the connections. I ended up doing it myself while he watched.

Good plan. The plumber won't be cheap. So, don't cheap out on the faucet, and hopefully you will not have to replace again for a long time.

It's really a simply job I have done a few times. I get the OP has some restrictions that make it unfeasible to crawl under the sink. But I don't think I'd hire a plumber. I'd look for a handyman who will cost less. I respect the skills of plumbers and have hired them in the past but this is not even something most codes require a plumber for.

Back
Top Bottom