Learn Japanese in 9 Months

HillCountry

Recycles dryer sheets
To begin with, I am studying Japanese for fun. Getting old and about to retire, besides doing my daily workout, I am also looking for ways to work out my brain. Learning a new language can definitely work out my memory and response. So as a new year resolution I started my Japanese learning on January 6.

Now 9 months in, I learnt about 8000 vocabularies and 2000+ unique kanjis. For months now, watching anime on Netflix and YouTube in Japanese daily.

I kind of enjoyed the process, so would like to share a few tips.

Anki

The most important tool for me is Anki, which I use as my dictionary. If possible, I import pre-made decks, but update them to my own card type. Except for Genki deck, all other decks I use the same card type, with the following fields: kanji, reading, related, meaning, sentence, and kana (not displayed). With these, it is easy to search up any kanji, meaning, or kana. And most cards are related to each other by meaning or reading. Especially I am now using Japanese to Japanese dictionaries, a new entry most likely have some relationship to existing entries.

Textbooks

I think textbook is the best way for most people to get started. I started with Genki 1&2. I do 1 lesson in 2 days, and after finishing Genki in less than 2 months, I was able to read easy Japanese news.

Then I studied Quartet 1&2. They are okay textbooks, but I think not as critical as Genki.

Graded Reader

After finishing Genki, I started intensive learning based on Satori Reader. At the beginning, it took me 2 or 3 days to finish a chapter. But towards the end, I could do more than 5 chapters per day. Satori is a great resource with native voice actors. I like it that you can easily move the cursor to the start of any sentence to play it from there. The grammar notes are also great. I can dump out the words I have learned and then import them into Anki. I graduated from Satori in about 4 months. Now for reading, I read native contents such as 東洋経済.

YouTube

After Satori Reader, I followed with フェルミ漫画大学 on YouTube. Their videos are like manga, showing all dialogues. Though they only have the auto generated captions, they are pretty accurate. For the main study materials, I like to be able to listen to them as well. So I get to work on 2 of the skills important to me. I also repeat after the speakers. Now I have done 60 episodes from this channel.

Multiple Inputs

I like to have several kinds of inputs at the same time, even from the beginning. Now I use フェルミ漫画大学 as main study material, I watch Netflix during meal times and work out, listen/watch various other YouTube channels such as NAKATA UNIVERSITY, listen to songs from anime when I am driving, or read 東洋経済 if I have a few moments.

Japanese to Japanese Dictionary

I began using JJ dictionary in late August. I noticed that my speaking capability improved quite a bit since then. I think that if you have to explain something in Japanese, naturally you will practice the speaking. I was not planning to work on the speaking part until next year. But now with the dictionary switch, I guess I started it earlier. People may have different opinions on when to switch dictionaries, I think it is better to have 6-7000 works so that new words and be explained with those known words.

As I am not following any set course to study Japanese, I am keep experimenting with different approaches. There are countless ways to learn a new language, try to find something fit yourself. And most importantly, have fun.

Cool! I took some Japanese in college, and other than all the kanji there are to learn, it seemed easier to learn than many other languages, including English of course.

As I am not following any set course to study Japanese, I am keep experimenting with different approaches. There are countless ways to learn a new language, try to find something fit yourself. And most importantly, have fun.

How many hours a day are you working on this?

I spent 2 hours a day on Spanish last year, prior to a long trip. Although I advanced a lot, I wasn't really comfortable with conversations. Mostly DuoLingo.

I am doing a one-month refresher right now before heading to the Canaries, and have been pleasantly surprised at how much I retained--but still don't expect a lot from 2 hours a day....

(Granted, my foreign language "abilities" are the subject of great mirth among DW and our sons.)

I read your post with admiration and awe. But it sounds like so much work!

You didn't share your motivation for learning Japanese. Are you planning to visit Japan for an extended period?

I'm fully bilingual (English and Spanish). I decided some time ago that this would suffice for me.

Seem not being able to editing original post. Need to correct something. After Genki, I was able to read TODAI Easy Japanese News App. Not read easy Japanese news.

Cool! I took some Japanese in college, and other than all the kanji there are to learn, it seemed easier to learn than many other languages, including English of course.

For me it is easier than English for sure, I am native Chinese speaker.

How many hours a day are you working on this?

I spent 2 hours a day on Spanish last year, prior to a long trip. Although I advanced a lot, I wasn't really comfortable with conversations. Mostly DuoLingo.

I am doing a one-month refresher right now before heading to the Canaries, and have been pleasantly surprised at how much I retained--but still don't expect a lot from 2 hours a day....

(Granted, my foreign language "abilities" are the subject of great mirth among DW and our sons.)

I stopped play video games this year and use all the time to study. I would say average 5-6 hours per day.

I plan to start Spanish in about 10 years after my Japanese is at a decent level.

I read your post with admiration and awe. But it sounds like so much work!

You didn't share your motivation for learning Japanese. Are you planning to visit Japan for an extended period?

I'm fully bilingual (English and Spanish). I decided some time ago that this would suffice for me.

Well, I said in my opening that I study Japanese for fun. At this stage of life, I will not do anything unless it is fun. Sure plan to visit there next spring, maybe.

Knowing one language is sufficient. There are so many interesting things to do in the life. For me learning a new language is kind of like playing a game.

Knowing one language is sufficient. There are so many interesting things to do in the life. For me learning a new language is kind of like playing a game.

Well, you're in Austin, so maybe you know 3 languages. Japanese, Texan, and (possibly) English.

English is a second language for most native Texans. :)

To begin with, I am studying Japanese for fun. Getting old and about to retire, besides doing my daily workout, I am also looking for ways to work out my brain. Learning a new language can definitely work out my memory and response. So as a new year resolution I started my Japanese learning on January 6.

Now 9 months in, I learnt about 8000 vocabularies and 2000+ unique kanjis. For months now, watching anime on Netflix and YouTube in Japanese daily.

Props to you!
I wish I had the patience to learn another language today beyond the few I picked up growing up and in school in a limited degree. Japanese and Thai would be at the top of my list. Opens up so much more of the culture.

Thanks for sharing HillCountry. I'm off on a learning adventure myself (though not to your level) and your post shows me that I'm not the only one spending valuable time on something that might not be necessary. In my case, I really wanted to do some course work to keep my mind sharp, such as auditing a local college class, but hated to commit to a hard schedule. Therefore, in my case I recently started working through a Biochemistry textbook, much like I was taking the class. Although, I have bought numerous scientific textbooks over the past 10 years for reading, this is the first time where I'm actually doing the problems at the end of the chapter and memorizing items that would be necessary to pass an actual exam. I started my journey fairly recent, so it will be interesting to see what happens as I get further into the text and start hitting sections that are more difficult and that I find less rewarding (fun).

I have no artistic or musical talent like many on this site, and languages aren't my strength, so I don't have a lot of choices to keep my mind sharp. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom