Leave or Stay?

Tommy_Dolitte

Recycles dryer sheets
Currently have a decent paying job....although getting bored.   :-[

For those that have left good companies, can you share learnings on:

*Did you leave too soon or to early?
*How long was the grass "greener" on the other side?
*Did you experience the 10-20% increase in pay?

I plan to work on my resume this w/e...any tidbits here I'd appreciate as well.  I haven't done this since grad school!   :D

TD

P.S. Batman Begins----good beginning....lingers on afterwards in my opinion. 5.75/10

Every time I have jumped, it been a 25% or greater bump. I usually stick around until I am really sick of it, so I tend to wait too long. The grass stays green for 1 to 3 years, usually.

I recently switched jobs and as usual, climbing the learning curve is a challenge. OTOH, my base here is bigger than total comp at the last place, and bonus can be a multiple of base in really good years.

I wouldnt leave a job unless I hated it for less than 20-25%

The grass stayed greener until I realized that I just accepted the same pile o' crap I had at the last job, only with different names and faces.

Size of the company was irrelevant. I worked for one 10 person company that had the worst politics and horsepuckey I've ever seen. Two companies north of $20B had the least.

I think you know when its time to go. If you dont leave until a long time after that, its too late. If you jump at some little thing without having a strong motivating reason, its too early.

Back
Top Bottom