Liability insurance for rental boats?

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I went shopping for a Jetski , and decided renting at $150 a day would be a better option. ;)

My main concern , Liability insurance. The rental does not cover liability for me, only the rental co. , and my umbrella policy requires $250k of underlying liability insurance on any vehicle. :confused:

Haven't called my agent yet.

Last edited:
Did they offer insurance:confused: I rented a boat once and they did offer something... not sure if it was the same as an auto rent...

BTW, I just rented a car and they offered 4 different kinds of insurance... if I bought them all I was covered for everything... but, the cost was more than the rental rate on the car...

Did they offer insurance:confused: I rented a boat once and they did offer something... not sure if it was the same as an auto rent...

BTW, I just rented a car and they offered 4 different kinds of insurance... if I bought them all I was covered for everything... but, the cost was more than the rental rate on the car...

The only optional insurance offered is a high deductible damage waiver. No liability coverage.

Boat rental is kind of a cottage business , no national or regional co.s, so an insurance hole is there for the renter , and seems nobody wants to touch that risk at any price.

Looks like the only practical solution is to buy an old, but functional pwc, register and insure it. My carrier covers "similar craft" borrowed or rented under a standard boat / pwc policy.

I've had personal watercraft for the last 30 years. Full coverage insurance for a 60 year old man is as expensive as it is on my 24' boat worth 8 times as much.

PWC's have a lot of insurance claims and when litigation is involved the settlements made are extremely high. There's no getting around the high premiums.

My home/auto carrier won't even cover my PWC, but my agent found coverage with Progressive. Costs me $100 a year.

Back
Top Bottom