Life 360 tracking app

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Interesting day learning about some new (to me) technology. I knew my daughter had her kids (13 and 17) download an app (Life 360) to their phones that could track their whereabouts. What I didn’t realize is the level of sophistication that the app has. I found out today that the 17yo DGS was grounded from driving. Inquiring further, it seems he was riding in a car with a friend and they were driving fast - way too fast. Apparently, the app not only tracks where he’s at, it sent his mom an alert showing the speed he was going. It was apparently over 100mph. Crazy and I couldn’t agree more with the grounding even though DGS wasn’t the driver.

Man I would not do well as a teenager today. I can’t image how much different my teen years would have been if my mom could have tracked everywhere I went let alone how fast I was driving. For myself, I don’t recall speeding all that often, but I’m sure I was plenty of places I wasn’t supposed to be. The one I remember the clearest is that I wasn’t supposed to take the car to Detroit but did. Ted Nugent concert. :D Of course karma did come into play because my car got hit (not bad) in the parking lot. I forget exactly how I lied myself out of that mess, but I did.

I hope DGS learned a lesson. I know enough about his friend and his car, that the thought of going 100mph in a small car that is most certainly not in top repair with an unseasoned driver, makes me thankful we weren’t called to the hospital, or worse.

My wife loves the app. It gives her comfort to be able to track our kids.

I haven't downloaded the app.

Good to get the kids used to being tracked for when the government takes over.

Interesting!!! Is it a free App?

My son and DIL use it for their two teenagers and vice versa, the teenagers can track mom and dad too. Living in a medium sized city like Chattanooga, I think it is a good thing for parents to have to keep tabs on the kids.

I hope DGS learned a lesson.
The major lesson would be to "forget" his phone for key outings, although I suppose that could be controlled by an accompanying penalty.

I too am glad that wasn't possible in the day. You need a little freedom to learn your own lessons, as dangerous as that can be.

I have an in-law that tracks his adult married daughter all the time. She doesn't seem to mind but I'd be annoyed to be constantly queried about what I'm doing.

I have an in-law that tracks his adult married daughter all the time. She doesn't seem to mind but I'd be annoyed to be constantly queried about what I'm doing.
I have a friend who does that using find my phone with her daughter who lives across the country (and vice versus). It seems obsessive to me, but different strokes...

That seems overly intrusive (adult/married). But that's them I guess.

My sister does this with her kids (21 and 18) and has for a few years. The 21 is in college so still on the payroll, and the 18 just graduated HS. I think as long as they are dependent it's fine, but at some point I hope she will disable it. If you're no longer paying for the phone, that should be the trigger to stop tracking it.

Back
Top Bottom