Limited Purpose Banking-Lawrence Kotlikoff

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...orm-sadly-lives?app=1&isDirectRoadblock=false

In this piece Kotlikoff argues that our banking system is always highly exposed to catastrophic failure, as we experienced in 2008. He proposes a financing system entirely based on equity, and offers mutual funds as a model. Fractional reserve banking, which is the current system, would become illegal.

I can't intelligently argue this idea, but IMO Kotlikoff can. He seems quite capable, to me at least.

Ha

Last edited:
I think I like it, in the same way that I view Vanguard or an ETF as just holding the records that I own actual 'stuff'.

But I got lost - where does borrowing happen? Is this just squeezing a balloon and having it pop out somewhere else - the total volume/problem hasn't changed? Though keeping them isolated may be a good thing in itself.

-ERD50

I would imagine the increased safety provided by such diversification would cause banks to take greater risks, which in this case will come at the expense of the group.

His proposal has a lot in common with Glass-Steagall

His proposal has a lot in common with Glass-Steagall

Going back to Glass-Steagal would make sense but the forces that be aren't even happy with Dodd-Frank. I fear even the current regulations will be eroded to the point they are useless and we will have a new 2008.

Back
Top Bottom