Living/Retiring Abroad?

Sossy

Dryer sheet wannabe
Or in Mexico/Latin America. Does anyone have experience in the logistics with getting paid from US consulting while out of the country? Getting important mail sent overseas or elsewhere, such as financial records or documents needed for taxes? Sure would appreciate ideas & thoughts!

Thanks!

Sossy

Getting important mail sent overseas or elsewhere, such as financial records or documents needed for taxes?
I live in SE Asia. I use a service that scans the envelopes, puts the images on their website and sends me a 'you've got mail' email. If I choose to have it opened, they scan the contents and create a pdf file that I download from their website. Otherwise I have it shredded.

My banks and IRA trustee mail the documents to my US address, I file my taxes using info from the pdfs. I file electronically, using taxact.com, so no need to print anything.

I use Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle Your needs may vary. I was with earth class mail for over a year. Then they changed their business model to focus on small businesses. They still take individuals as customers, but at eye popping prices.

I've had some letters (containing new ATM cards) sent by courier from the US to Thailand. Used USPS Express Mail for the first part of the journey. At some point (I don't remember where, probably Bangkok) they handed it to EMS, an international express mail courier (Express mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for the rest of the way. I could have used a US based private courier service, e.g. DHL, for the mail pieces, but the combo of USPS and EMS was considerably cheaper. EMS is available in 154 countries.

Thank you, IDMAT -this is hugely helpful information! I had figured there are ways to do this (tons of Americans are ex-pats), but wasn't sure where to start.

Back
Top Bottom