Looking for any ideas for cheaper health insurance for spouse

Tom52

Full time employment: Posting here.
Dear wife needs health insurance for two months starting January 1, 2019. She will start on Medicare March 1, 2019. She will be in Florida both months the needed coverage would be in effect. Our home state is Iowa. We do not qualify for subsidy so we are wondering if there may be something else out there besides the ACA policies. This would basically only be used in an emergency situation.

We would appreciate any ideas outside the ACA.

If she is healthy, there are Short-Term Medical (STM) plans that exclude pre-existing conditions. If you go this route try to stay with UHC/Golden Rule, National General, or Petersen International. They use national PPO networks. Avoid "limited benefit" plans that try to pass themselves off as an STM. Those junk plans typically pay $250 for an ER visit or $1k/day for a hospital stay. Do not provide personal information (address, phone #) on a website to get quotes.

This is Petersen's Bridge Plan with rates: https://www.insubuy.com/bridge-plan/health-insurance/

In a previous post, you said she signed up for her current ACA plan through an agent. That agent may also sell STMs or be able to refer you to one who does. Most independent auto/home/life agencies sell them and can provide more information.

If she is not comfortable with an STM or could not pass their underwriting she should renew the Iowa ACA plan. Even if it uses a local provider network, ACA regulations require the plan to make a limited payment for life-threatening emergencies. In most states that doesn't mean much, but Florida has comprehensive regulations against OON providers balance billing the difference for emergencies. They also prohibit "surprise medical bills" (OON providers at in-network hospitals).

Balance Billing Regulations: https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pu...n/balance-billing-consumer-protections-states

I do not believe Health Care Sharing Ministries (HCSM) would be an option in this case as they usually have a waiting period before full benefits kick in. They are not insurance.

What do you currently have for insurance?

Have you looked for short term policies? While the benefits are skinnier they tend to be much cheaper.

Are you changing your residence to Florida or just snowbirding?

uThanks MBSC for the detailed information. We will discuss this with our independent insurance agent.

Pb4uski - DW currently has a bronze HSA policy. We can go with that but the price is quite high. We are snowboarding this year.

Last edited:
Might be time to find a decent one.

Hate that auto correct feature�� I fixed it because he really is a decent person.

Last edited:
I have a similar issue in that I start Medicare in April. I am currently on DH's retiree insurance which is quite expensive but is a PPO with a great network.

But -- I am currently very healthy and will likely not have any great medical needs for those 3 months (possibly a prescription).

I am leaning to getting the cheapest ACA policy for those 3 months. I can get Ambetter or BCBS with the BCBS with a slightly better network and about $80 more a month (close to $900 a month). Ambetter is an EPO and BCBS is an HMO.

The short term plans have some people but saving a few hundred dollars just doesn't seem worth it. (In my case I get an HRA from DH's former employer but it doesn't cover the full cost).

You might try travel health insurance for two months, especially since based on your post you are traveling to FL from Iowa....it's inexpensive and covers catastrophic. You could then delay any primary care until the Medicare kicks in.

I did this for a month last year - worked out well - didn't need it, but the peace of mind in case I had an emergency worked well.

Most travel insurance does not cover in the USA.

But, this is an opportunity for OP to take wife on a 2 month trip to Spain/Portugal and get travel insurance for the trip.

Might be less than buying the current insurance?

In all seriousness, I really would not care about the costs for 2 months. Keep what she had, if she likes it. If not, get another ACA policy. I can't see the logic of trying to save even $1-2k for a 2 month period.

YMMV

In all seriousness, I really would not care about the costs for 2 months. Keep what she had, if she likes it. If not, get another ACA policy. I can't see the logic of trying to save even $1-2k for a 2 month period.

I was just talking to DH about my similar issue this morning. I need coverage for 3 months before Medicare. I do get an HRA from DH's former employer but it doesn't cover the full cost. My options are: Ambetter EPO, BCBS HBO from ACA (or possibly a similar off exchange plan) or PPO retiree coverage. The BCBS is about $80 or so a month more than the Ambetter policy. Both have very high deductibles. The PPO is about $300 more a month or $900 over 3 months. But -- the deductible is only $1500. I've decided that even though I am very healthy and unlikely to need much care in that period I would rather have a better network including out of network coverage and not risk the high deductible. I would rather save $900 of course but having good coverage is more valuable to me.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/get-quote

Drop down list has domestic travel - put in dates and you'll get a quote.
This plan only pays $25k toward medical expenses. IMHO, I would only consider the domestic travel plans with $200k+ coverage. Don't be fooled by the high transport reimbursement. A person can easily incur $150k in Usual, Customary and Reasonable (UCR) medical expenses before the trauma center in Florida will consider them stable enough to be released for transport home. The OP's wife would have no coverage once transported back to the Iowa home area for rehab care prior to Medicare.

Also, these policies are not subject to state balance billing restrictions for HMO, EPO, and PPO medical plans so a person in Florida could be balanced billed the difference between the billed charges and UCR.

I. EMERGENCY MEDICAL/DENTAL COVERAGE

If you receive emergency medical or dental care while you are on your trip for one of the following covered reasons, we will reimburse the reasonable and customary costs of that care for which you are responsible, up to the maximum benefit listed for Emergency Medical/Dental Coverage on your Declarations.

Reference: https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/api/certificates/download/all?ProductID=17497&State=SC

Back
Top Bottom