Looking for comments on my plans for FIRE

JWR1945 said:
Have you considered moving?
Half a million dollars will get you a mansion in many parts of this country.  Your annual income would allow you to live in luxury.
An early poster on this board who has since moved to Argentina lived in SF on about $1500/month, and she had to pay rent but not health insurance.

San Francisco lacks only beach to make it the world's best place. With a home and Prop 13 moving anywhere else is IMO like leaving heaven because the rents went up.

Of course, I left, years ago, for reasons that I still can't quite figure out. Maybe I wanted to see the aurora borealis ?

M

My property taxes are based on the $157.5K purchase price 20 years ago, not the current $500K+ CMV.  Yes, California has state income taxes, unlike TX, NV and probably a few others.  But then I don't get hit with lots of weird "personal property taxes" that I've been told are used in some other states (VA I think).

HaHa, I'm three blocks from Ocean Beach at the end of Golden Gate Park, so I guess SF must be the "world's best place".   :)   But the surfers wear wetsuits the year around - that's cold water!

Mister Bill, I was born in OK (but really only been there for visits with relatives), lived for a short time in Baja Oklahoma (in Houston), and spent about 18 months in northern Lousiana, and I'm very willing to cede my spot in the SE to anyone who wants it.  I mostly grew up in Albuquerque, and feel more at home "out West".

Hi Donner, thanks for the long post.  Feel free to drop "The Other" - I generally use just my name when registering at a forum, but "Michael" was already taken here as it was at the other place where I picked this screen name.

We've looked at the home insurance periodically, though we haven't analyzed it in depth.  We do carry the state earthquake insurance and both run us about $2400 a year.  If/when there's another major earthquake that causes significant damage we've got some expectation that the insurers will find a way to default on paying out much money.  But for $1200 a year, we figure we'll hope on recovering something to make it worthwhile.  If I had my druthers, we'd just keep paying the insurance and never get the quake.

We're not married, and after almost 27 years that doesn't seem too likely to change.  We've both got FEGLI.   We're taking the full CSRS annuity - no survivor's reduction.  With similar incomes and the house paid off the survivor shouldn't have a problem getting by on his/her full annuity, savings, and the savings of the dear departed.  The FEGLI is just for a bit of a parting financial boost. 60 is still a ways away, and we'll have to evaluate the life insurance situation when we get closer to it.  We share the joint expenses (whether for fixed costs or for fun), but other than that we don't commingle finances.  This isn't to say that we wouldn't watch out for each other, we just don't throw all the money into a pot.  This is probably why she's got significantly more savings than I, while I have significantly more motorcycles and machine tools than she does.   :)

I don't see you as a gloom and doomer, probably because I'm not too optimistic about the outlook either.  That old saw about stocks always outperforming anything else for any given long term period has never rung true to me.  It may be true in a macroeconomic analysis when performance is looked at for long enough periods, and with a big enough aggregation of stocks.  But even in boom times people lose their money with wrong choices.  And if you deal yourself in at the beginning of a long term drop when your life expectancy is starting to look more short term, and then compound that with some ill-advised choices, well . . . .

I've got a friend who put all of her TSP into the C fund and decided she just wasn't going to watch it any more.  That's too much of a crap shoot for my peace of mind.  The extent of gambling for me is emptying the loose change from my pockets into the slot machines before boarding the airplane out of Vegas.  Nothing ventured nothing gained, but then again nothing lost too.

cheers,
Michael

The Other Michael said:
HaHa, I'm three blocks from Ocean Beach at the end of Golden Gate Park, so I guess SF must be the "world's best place". :) But the surfers wear wetsuits the year around - that's cold water!

I think the sharks the size of small school busses swimming around offshore negate some of the beach benefits, along with the 50 degree water. However the clothing optional beach located between the sutro baths and the south base tower of the golden gate bridge improves the situation. That the clothing optional beach is inhabited by people that greenpeace volunteers regularly try to push back into the water where they will be eaten by sharks neutralizes things yet again.

You dont know me said:
I think the sharks the size of small school busses swimming around offshore negate some of the beach benefits, along with the 50 degree water.  However the clothing optional beach located between the sutro baths and the south base tower of the golden gate bridge improves the situation.  That the clothing optional beach is inhabited by people that greenpeace volunteers regularly try to push back into the water where they will be eaten by sharks neutralizes things yet again.

I was thinking the same, about cold and sharks. But what is Greenpeace's issue? Are these anti-environmentalist nudists?

Sorry, I was too obscure on that joke. Greenpeace was mistaking some of the nudists for whales that had washed up on shore and was trying to 'save' them by pushing them back in the water.

Back
Top Bottom