Looking for the name of a vehicle seat belt part

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Vehicle: 2015 Buick Enclave

The hard plastic cover to the front passenger-side seat belt latch had a section break off (not sure how). I've already sent this photo to a local (~20 minutes away) GM dealership and am waiting for a response. But I am curious if anyone knows what the name of this part is. For all I know, this part if unavailable separately, requiring a replacement of the entire seat belt assembly.

cT4QqM0.jpg

One of the internet parts suppliers might be able to help. https://www.rockauto.com/ for example.

You might also be able to search for "OEM parts books. 2015 buick enclave parts diagram" got me lots of hits.

Last edited:
The closest name I could find in searching is "Buckle cover", but it's for the other part of the seatbelt, the part that has the button.

Latch plate cover.

Latch Plate
The latch plate is a tongue-shaped piece of stainless steel that locks into the buckle. The latch plate freely slides up and down the webbing or strap so passengers can freely adjust it depending on the length of webbing they require.

Latch plate cover.
Sounds like the part. Thanks. Whether it is individually replaceable is unknown. I'm certain I could have the entire belt assembly replaced, if necessary.

I considered the bonding idea, but there is a spring piece that also popped out which I believe is what keeps the cover in place on each side of the latch plate. Even with the one side broken off, it doesn't appear as though the remainder of the cover that is still attached is going to come off very easily.

If I knew how to remove the latch cover, I could try a salvaged auto parts yard for a replacement.

Last edited:
Very unlikely the dealer will sell you anything other than the entire seatbelt assembly. I hope for your sake, they handle it better than they did on an old car I had an issue with.

The seatbelt was sticking so they replaced it. Unfortunately, the plastic pieces only came in a base color (gray) and they had to paint it to match the other belt. Making matters worse, the paint chipped off. This was all under warranty. Thankfully, the car was black and gray so I had them replace the two belts with unpainted plastic and that looked good and didn't peel.

Know what you'll be getting before you pay for anything.

Hard to believe the dealer would sell that separately, let alone in the right color. I'd go to the salvage yard for that, preferably a pick and pull where you can go out and pull it off a vehicle yourself. Look for Encore's and Acadia's with the same interior color. You can use this website to find which yards near you have compatible vehicles. www.car-part.com Probably easier, quicker and cheaper to just replace the whole assembly from the salvage yard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom