Lose weight with one tablespoon olive oil each morning?

sounds like:

The Shangri-La Diet
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shangri-La_Diet

"About the diet

The diet itself consists of taking 100–400 calories in the form of either extra-light (not extra-virgin) olive oil or sugar water per day, either all at once or spanned throughout the day. This must be consumed in a flavorless window, which is at least one hour after flavors have been consumed, and at least one hour before flavors will be consumed.[5] The consumption of these flavorless calories supposedly lowers the set point, and therefore, lowers weight."

I thought extra-light olive oil was olive oil mixed with vegetable oil? Wrong?

As I understand it, the olives are pressed several times. The first pressing provides the highest quality "extra virgin" oil. Succeeding presses give less olive flavor and provide the "lighter" grades.

And Google turned this up...

Oil extracted from the first pressing of ripe olives is classified as virgin. Extra virgin simply means an oil from the first pressing that is particularly low in acid - less than 1%. Virgin olive oil may have as much as 4% acid. Fino or fine olive oil is a blend of extra virgin and virgin olive oils, with an acid content not above 3%.
After the first pressing, more oil is extracted in subsequent operations using a combination of pressure, heat, and chemical solvents. These refined oils may be blended with virgin oil to replace some of the flavor lost in the processing, and are sold as pure olive oil or just olive oil.
In some countries, you may also stumble upon light olive oil, which is not lower in calories, but which has been so finely filtered as to remove most of its color and fragrance (and flavor). It has a higher smoke point than the other types of olive oil, though, so it is well suited to high-temperature frying
For the best qualities, we should go for the "Virgin" or "Extra virgin" olive oil because they have a fruity and rich flavour, wouldn't turn rancid so fast and are more easily digestible than refined oil.

My son tried this idea with no success, but it may work for some people. There is a well written book that explains the plan, and it's author is a UC professor. I can't remember what discipline.

Ha

There is a well written book that explains the plan, and it's author is a UC professor. I can't remember what discipline.

Witchcraft? :rolleyes:

We love olive oil and consume plenty but if you don't change your exercise and eating habits I don't see how swallowing a tablespoon of Olive oil will help, unless it inspires the user to change their habits, which may well work for some.

That reminds me - 7pm, time for the glass of red wine and square of dark chocolate - I forget what health improvements they are supposed to make, but like olive oil they are delicious, so I'm a believer :whistle:

Red wine and dark chocolate have supposed antioxident properties. I am saving some red grapes for my dessert tonight, while I watch the conclusion of Mystery on PBS. Red wine and grapes have resveratrol, believed to be a potent antioxident with cardiac benefits.

Red wine and dark chocolate have supposed antioxident properties. I am saving some red grapes for my dessert tonight, while I watch the conclusion of Mystery on PBS. Red wine and grapes have resveratrol, believed to be a potent antioxident with cardiac benefits.

Excellent info - thanks. I too will be watching the conclusion of Mystery on PBS tonight :cool:

What are you watching now? - I'm watching the 1st round FA cup tie between Northwich Victoria and Charlton Athletic - I doubt many on this board will be sharing my choice of viewing at this moment :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom