Lurker decided to post

Graybeard

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello.

I have been lurking here for years and finally decided to register almost 2 years ago. I never posted until about 6 or 8 weeks ago and then again a few days ago. Both times my posting caused problems and I was unable to post again or even pm the staff for help! I finally saw the contact link and Cliff was able to fix things, thank you Sir!

I'm in my early 70's, divorced, no kids, retired almost 14 years and like many here I'm analytical and an introvert. I worked in IT most of my working years. I record a few hours of CNBC each day fast forwarding through most of it. I look for trends as I realize most of what they air is not actionable for me but I have made some profitable trades in my 401k using the Stable Value fund. I only invest in Vanguard index funds and 2 Vanguard FI funds that aren't an index fund. I find financial matters interesting and started to really delve into it 3 years before retiring and still have the bug.

Lots of interesting threads and knowledgeable folks here so I expect to contribute what I can.

Welcome! Glad you got the bugs fixed and can now post.
I found this blog when I began seriously thinking about FIRE. I have learned a lot from the folks here. I use the information here and then follow up with my own research.

Welcome. Look forward to hearing more from you.
This is a great place to learn and share.

Welcome. Retiring at 56 is my goal too though I am not sure I can last that long both mentally and physically. I would be grateful if I can last until 50 (6yrs from now).

Getting there is problematic. How do people manage to live through their working life for so many years when I struggle for reaching 10yrs of my career is beyond me.

Getting there is problematic. How do people manage to live through their working life for so many years when I struggle for reaching 10yrs of my career is beyond me.

Many of us just kept our head down and kept thinning the cabbage...that's how.;)

Welcome to the OP for delurking and joining in the fray.

Just kidding about the fray. You have been here long enough to know what to expect.

Welcome. Retiring at 56 is my goal too though I am not sure I can last that long both mentally and physically. I would be grateful if I can last until 50 (6yrs from now).

Eh, you will be there soon enough.

You will get to understand aching joints, bowel problems (have you seen the constipation thread? :nonono: ), not being able to sleep through the night yet falling asleep midday, teeth getting loose, hair falling out, etc...

It's not pretty. So, enjoy your 40s and 50s while they last. :greetings10:

I like your username. Welcome aboard!

Ha, ha, maybe I should have spelled it Greybeard? :cool:

As NW-Bound said, it is surprising how much I do know about many people here from reading over the past several years! :greetings10:

I really enjoy reading opinions from certain people when it comes to fixed income. It comforts me to know there isn't much that can be done to mitigate rising rates other than stay very short duration. I just assumed when the time came, which is just about now, I'd have most or all of my Vanguard FI allocation in an intermediate term treasury fund. FI doesn't really add much wealth to your bottom line, I know it is ballast, so losing years of interest to rising rates is daunting. Thankfully I have a nice stash in my 401k's Stable Value fund so rising rates are a good thing there but that's just 1/4 of the portfolio, 85% of which is in tax deferred accounts so I need a good chunk of FI at Vanguard.

Back
Top Bottom