Make a garage door is open warning device.

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last edited:
I made one of those almost 40 years ago. The garage door opener had a 40 volt output on it. I ran a line into the house and connected it to a small lamp with a 40 volt bulb that sat on top of the TV. If the garage door was open, the lamp was on.

This is such a brilliant idea (to have some way of knowing if the garage door is open). I must admit to doing a check of the house most nights before hitting the hay...make sure front door is locked, peer out from mudroom door into the garage and make sure the door is down, etc. I once left my garage door open at night when coming in quite late. Thank goodness a neighbor called me and asked if I knew my door was open!

I made one with a 12 volt light, a small transformer and a light switch. The door has a spring attached to the side and as it passes the switch it flips it on and off. The light is mounted on a wall plate in the kitchen. No electronics.

I have a device built into my opener that automatically closes my garage door, but it would not detect an intruder.

It does save my heating costs and helps with forgetfulness though...

Attachments

• 311HTTJQF1L.jpg
    311HTTJQF1L.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom