Many many Passwords

I won’t say it…. but passkeys

Some of us just don't trust a 3rd party to hold all our passwords.

I know all the stock answers - it's all encrypted, they can't actually get to your passwords w/o access to something/handshake on your system so no good to a hacker, etc, etc.

If so, then why isn't my bank using that same level of security?

I just don't trust them.

-ERD50

Some of us just don't trust a 3rd party to hold all our passwords.

I know all the stock answers - it's all encrypted, they can't actually get to your passwords w/o access to something/handshake on your system so no good to a hacker, etc, etc.

If so, then why isn't my bank using that same level of security?

I just don't trust them.

-ERD50

It's still early days for passkeys. Banks aren't usually the first to use any technology, but they'll get there.

It's still early days for passkeys. Banks aren't usually the first to use any technology, but they'll get there.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought 'passkeys' was a reference to one of the password managers. I forgot about the 'passkey' technology.

I think that was discussed in another thread. I dunno, I'm leery of everything open to whoever gets into my device. And the problem of my device getting lost/stolen, and now I need access to an account w/o that device.

That's a problem with 2FA - I know someone who dropped their phone into the Chicago River. Now they need cash to get home, because their train ticket and everything is on their phone. Oh, log into your account on a friend/trusted computer? Well, sure, just retrieve that access code that was texted to your underwater phone.

IMO, it's just trading one problem for another.

-ERD50

I feel your pain. On a slightly different thread but related to hacking just the same I've stated this for years and I don't hear many people saying it:

The next big black swan terrorist attack will probably be on the sovereign wealth of a nation state.

Some people ask me what it will be, which country, how much money involved, etc.?

If I knew any of that it would obviously not be a black swan event, right?

I can come up with scenarios like, "Australia's equivalent of their federal reserve just got wiped out by an underground terrorist cell working out of central Africa and managed to convert all of the value to bitcoin."

I do believe something on this order will eventually happen. There are so many countermeasures and safeguards in place to prevent this but that is what makes it a black swan. Nobody expected it to happen and after it happened everyone rationalizes it and understands when it is too late.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought 'passkeys' was a reference to one of the password managers. I forgot about the 'passkey' technology.

I think that was discussed in another thread. I dunno, I'm leery of everything open to whoever gets into my device. And the problem of my device getting lost/stolen, and now I need access to an account w/o that device.

That's a problem with 2FA - I know someone who dropped their phone into the Chicago River. Now they need cash to get home, because their train ticket and everything is on their phone. Oh, log into your account on a friend/trusted computer? Well, sure, just retrieve that access code that was texted to your underwater phone.

IMO, it's just trading one problem for another.

-ERD50

Well, sure, just retrieve that access code that was texted to your underwater phone.
I worked on an open source project that might get you home. You would borrow a trusted device, install SQRL on it, call your house and ask a resident there to look for your paper file containing your rescue QR code. They take a picture of it and send it to the borrowed device. You use the rescue code and the one password you really do have memorized to open up access to the places you need to go. But yeah, if nobody was at home, you're going to have a long walk. Or maybe you borrow a device, call a taxi, and run in the house at the end and grab a credit card.

My ATM cc card is in my wallet. Unless I fall into the river and sink I can get cash and a ride.

My ATM cc card is in my wallet. Unless I fall into the river and sink I can get cash and a ride.

Pickpockets are a possibility, at least while traveling to some places. Probably a greater threat than dropping a phone in a river.

Back
Top Bottom