Market Linked CDs

OHjosh

Recycles dryer sheets
Please spare me lecture on annuitites; I have two and they are a done deal. One comes due next May and I was told by an adviser that the only vehicle I should consider for investing that money is a Market Linked CD. I never heard of these before. Any ideas about that?

Google found this: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/092316/6-reasons-beware-marketlinked-cds.asp

According to the Wall Street Journal, after fees, limits and other factors come into play, market-linked CDs often underperform conventional CDs. The newspaper analyzed 147 market-linked CDs issued since 2010 and discovered that 62% of those products underperformed conventional CDs. Furthermore, roughly a quarter of them paid no return at all.

Like many commissioned financial products, the only party to the transaction guaranteed to make money is the seller.

Run. Find another advisor who is a fiduciary.

The more complicated the financial product the more likely that it has been designed to make money for the seller, not for you. (From your post I think you have already learned this rule via your annuity purchases. Never forget it.)

Re @njhowie, you can also buy TIPS through Schwab, Vanguard, et al for low- or no-fees. This eliminates the hassle of setting up an account at TreasuryDirect, transferring money, etc.

A market linked CD is akin to an equity indexed annuity... I wouldn't buy either one.

We had this question come up a short while ago. There was not a lot of discussion (unusual for this board). I was offered one years ago and it felt too gimmicky to me. Wells Fargo was the issuer I think. The returns were too low unless the market went up and too many games on how they measure the market to credit the CD.

Run. Find another advisor who is a fiduciary.

The more complicated the financial product the more likely that it has been designed to make money for the seller, not for you. (From your post I think you have already learned this rule via your annuity purchases. Never forget it.)

Re @njhowie, you can also buy TIPS through Schwab, Vanguard, et al for low- or no-fees. This eliminates the hassle of setting up an account at TreasuryDirect, transferring money, etc.

+1 :)

Back
Top Bottom