Medicare article I found helpful

Earl E Retyre

Full time employment: Posting here.
Sharing an article just posted regarding Medicare that I found helpful.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/are-you-ready-for-medicare-my-minimal-medicare-primer/

Darrow's wife wound up purchasing Plan G and estimates her total cost of insurance to be $9,151/year but that includes an enormous $5k/yr drug cost for their situation. If I subtract that $5k drug cost then I would expect about $4,151 per year. If I round that up to $5k to be conservative and multiply by 2 for DW and me, I am now going to estimate our healthcare costs to be $10k/year when we turn 65.

I initially had $15k per year in my budget plan but am going to change that to $10k/year based on this article. Not sure what others are actually paying per year.

Sharing an article just posted regarding Medicare that I found helpful.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/are-you-ready-for-medicare-my-minimal-medicare-primer/

Darrow's wife wound up purchasing Plan G and estimates her total cost of insurance to be $9,151/year but that includes an enormous $5k/yr drug cost for their situation. If I subtract that $5k drug cost then I would expect about $4,151 per year. If I round that up to $5k to be conservative and multiply by 2 for DW and me, I am now going to estimate our healthcare costs to be $10k/year when we turn 65.

I initially had $15k per year in my budget plan but am going to change that to $10k/year based on this article. Not sure what others are actually paying per year.

Before my wife passed last december, we were spending roughly $12K out of pocket for medicare, plan G, and plan D (drugs). Yes, it's not cheap.

My OOP this year will be around $5K alone.

This year: Part B is $1,978.80. DW's Part D is $154.89 DW's Medigap is $1,330.44. Part B deductible is $226.00. Total so far $3,690.04. Her drugs cost about $100 per year. Add in some dental and a pair of eye glasses every few years and you are at about $4,200.00. The great unknown is drug costs.

Don't forget IRMAA. Our medigap Plan F (family plan with discount) runs us $5K/year. Medicare last year was $8.2K and this year's it's $12.7K due to a large Roth conversion. We'll be back in the $8.2K range until I hit RMDs, then back up. Our Plan D is not bad; we're both in the cheapo plans with drug costs approx. $1K/yr. Then there's the LTC, dental (implants), and this year, approx. $3K in eyeglasses. Medical costs have been running us about $30K/yr.

Remember that max OOP drugs are supposed to top out at $2K next year (IIRC that is )

Back
Top Bottom