Medtronic Stock Anyone? be prepared for Capital Gains

Senator

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here is an interesting article. It actually lists my neighbor, who I speak with quite often about retirement. She is 83, and still mows her 1 ac lawn with a 20" push mower.

If you have Medronic stock, like she does, it means a capital gains huge tax hit. Of course, the executives get their taxes paid by the company...

She gets a $100K tax hit. She is pretty well off, and lives a pretty simple life style. This will shave her retirement assets quite a bit.

If you are a holder of Medronic, I am sure you are aware of this already. If not, it could impact you severely, especially if you planned on living off the dividends.

This is all because tax rates in Ireland are much lower than the USA. It is an inversion scheme.

Medtronic's Covidien deal would mean tax hit for long-term investors - TwinCities.com

[mod note] Moved to the Individual Security Analysis forum

MDT is one of my largest positions and my unrealized capital gain is in the 5 figures. I learned of the inversion tax hit this week. I am not too happy about it (for me it's about a 35% tax hit when including the federal and state LTCG tax and medicare surtax). The yield on MDT is not that great anymore and if I have to pay the tax anyways, I might donate some of the shares to my Fidelity DAF and dump the rest pre-inversion in a ratio that would create a zero tax liability.

Back
Top Bottom