Mitch Mitchell Dead

Free To Canoe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mitch Mitchell died yesterday. He was the drummer for the Jimmy Hendrix Experience. It is a big blow for Hendrix fanatics everywhere. The last member of the Experience.
I could use some help with the links. London Times article below.

With the death of Mitch Mitchell, the Jimi Hendrix Experience is over - Times Online
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...imi+hendrix&start=240&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&sa=N
I think he was one of the best rock drummers of his era.

Farovite Hendrix lyrics:
"...Fall mountains, just don't fall on me.."
"...right-on Mr. Businessman, you can't dress like me"

Forever in our hearts,

Free to Canoe

I read this as "Mitch Miller" at first. And then I thought -- oh, wait. Couldn't be, since I'm sure Mitch Miller's been dead for a long time already.

And then I looked it up, and Mitch Miller is still alive -- at 97. Thus goes my brain.

We still have Billy Cox. O0 And Buddy Miles... :p
afro.gif
<< so THAT's what that smiley is for!

I recently heard a HS marching Band do "Fire", and it actually reminded me just how awesome the percussion is in that song. Mitch Mitchell @ Woodstock - RIP (man):

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Fire

-ERD50

-

Mitch was very much like a jazz drummer. Listen to Voodoo Chile (not the more familiar Voodoo Child (Slight Return)) from Electric Ladyland. Some pretty good Hammond organ by Steve Winwood, too.

Cox and Hendrix were old Army buddies.

Buddy's style was once described as like a cement mixer... Listen to Band Of Gypsys (sic).

ERD50 Nice clip, hard to do better than that!

HFWR All true. Some say Electric Ladyland was Hendrix's masterpiece. I agree.
All of the other ones are great, too.
Now if I can get Paul Allen to "donate" the Woodstock guitar to me, I will be all set.
Too many memories / stories.

Favorite Hendrix story?

OK, I've had a few homebrews to ease my bad back (again :( - ummm, sad about bad back, not homebrews), going off to listen to my CD of Electric Ladyland to pay my respects. Will return with a story or two.

BTW, I'm a very amateurish keyboard player, absolutely love the keyboard work that Winwood does on EL (and everything else for that matter), I will focus on the drumming this listen. Be back later....

-ERD50

OK, 16:05 later.... well, 32:10 plus, had to listen twice, plus a few other tracks.....Wow - thanks HFWR, I probably never noticed the drumming that much. He starts out the first few verses with a more standard, laid back blues beat, by then the guitar and organ catch my attention. But the drumming @ ~ 7:50 really goes jazzy - I can imagine Coltrane walking in and picking up the lead, and again @8:50.

And I always think of "Voodoo Child" as "Catfish Blues", it's just so back-to-basics. Rainy Day, Watchtower - quite an iconic work.

I think the most interesting Hendrix story is the one that we will never know - he was starting to collaborate with some Jazz musicians, I think he felt he had done enough blues and wanted to stretch out some more. Man, that would have been interesting....

-ERD50

I do love this "story". Cavett interviewing Hendrix about his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

YouTube - Interview with Jimi Hendrix on Star-Spangled Banner

" I just played it, I'm American, so I played it - I used to sing it in school, it's a flash-back" and when Cavett says he will get "hate mail" because it is "unorthodox", Hendrix, says "It's not unorthodox, I just thought it was beautiful ".

Gotta love it. It actually took me a while to appreciate the beauty of Hendrix SSB. But wow.

-ERD50

My family lived in London when Hendrix hit the scene. He was so popular there and my brother and I were crazy about him. I remember my Missouri grandmother being very concerned about us when we visited and brought all our Hendrix albums. The music has stood the test of time and still sounds great today.

Wow. Buddy Miles passed on. Didn't know that.

Purron, well said about the test of time.

I have been listening to Hendrix since I was a teenager. I never get tired of it.

I always thought that a movie should be made of the song In 1983, (I merman I should turn to be). To do that guess you would have to be as far out visually as Hendrix was musically.

He was quite the poet.

Free to Canoe

Back
Top Bottom