Monoclonal Gammopathy

Vincenzo Corleone

Full time employment: Posting here.
What's that saying? People plan and God laughs?

It appears I have a monoclonal gammopathy. I haven't gotten a final diagnosis yet, and I don't think I have multiple myeloma, but it sure looks like things are headed in that direction. I'm only 57. I guess I don't need to worry about planning for a 30+ year retirement.

What's that saying? People plan and God laughs?

It appears I have a monoclonal gammopathy. I haven't gotten a final diagnosis yet, and I don't think I have multiple myeloma, but it sure looks like things are headed in that direction. I'm only 57. I guess I don't need to worry about planning for a 30+ year retirement.

I'm not familiar with the condition but any such news is obviously distressing. Sending positive vibes and good wishes to you, Vincenzo!

Those are abnormal proteins in your blood, not cancerous that I am aware of, but may lead to greater risk of more serious blood or bone marrow diseases.
A distressing diagnosis, for sure.
If you can, try to take notes or have someone with you at your appointment. It is easy to miss some information.

Best wishes to you, that you feel stronger soon.
Take care and keep us posted.

Those are abnormal proteins in your blood, not cancerous that I am aware of, but may lead to greater risk of more serious blood or bone marrow diseases.
A distressing diagnosis, for sure.
If you can, try to take notes or have someone with you at your appointment. It is easy to miss some information.

Best wishes to you, that you feel stronger soon.
Take care and keep us posted.

It's a precursor to cancer. It can progress to multiple myeloma, which is blood cancer. My lab numbers are worsening.

Thanks for the wishes.

I've been diagnosed with it for 15 years. I get labs done every 6-12 months. The results have been stable, and I have no symptoms. I have heard that there is a 1% chance per year of it progressing.

I've been diagnosed with it for 15 years. I get labs done every 6-12 months. The results have been stable, and I have no symptoms. I have heard that there is a 1% chance per year of it progressing.

Unfortunately, mine seems to be at the smoldering stage (the one after MGUS) which carries a higher probability of it progressing to multiple myeloma. I saw my hematologist yesterday. While he's not yet ready to issue a formal diagnosis (more tests need to be done first), based on my labs he thinks treatment is likely needed. He referred me to a hematologist who specializes in multiple myeloma. I looked him up - he seems to be at the top of his field.

Last edited:
My brother has had smoldering myeloma for years. It may or may not ever progress into multiple myeloma. He has no symptoms. He sees his doc every 6 months and so far everything is holding steady He is 72.

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Hopefully, it will progress very slowly.

Sorry for the stress you are going through with this news. MGUS doesn't look like it always needs treated but I can see this would not be reassuring.

But keep in mind doctor does not have all the tests in yet and is somewhat speculating at this point. I have had doctors pretty convinced a result would lean one way and in the end it did not - it was something more benign in the end.

Back
Top Bottom