Morningstar X-Ray - Portfolio analysis

justin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just found this cool tool. Morningstar X-Ray lets you input your stocks and mutual funds and the amount held, and it then calculates the portfolio allocations between all major asset classes and by industry types, etc. I just spent a lot of time doing this using an excel spreadsheet, and I wish I would have known of this resource earlier. It might come in handy if you own actively managed mutual funds and want to see how balanced or diversified the holdings of all your mutual funds are.

Link:
http://portfolio.morningstar.com/NewPort/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx

This is a great tool.  I've been using it for quite a while.  I can micro tweak with my monthly contributions, no sweat.  The only caveat I have is that it seems that mutual fund companies report the data M* uses quarterly.  So, the fine detail accuracy can suffer a bit.  With a long time frame, doesn't matter significantly.

That is very cool, thanks for the link Justin.   I have a very complicated and tedious speadsheet that attempts to do the same thing.  Poorly.

Can't wait to get off work and input my info tonight. 
[written for the sake of anyone looking over my shoulder at the office ;)]

Thanks Justin. I'll finally have something other than a rough guess at
what my large/small cap and US/Int'l weighings are. Does anyone use
some other tool so that the results can be compared?

Zorba

I'd like to look at other tools as well. This morningstar x-ray came up with slightly different results from my own calculations. It also says I have zero small caps of any kind. I can't believe that with all the different funds I own that I have zero small caps. I did up my international percentages after using x-ray.

Vanguard has something which may be similar, possibly only for online account holders.

Quicken also does something similar, but I saw it and wasn't too impressed. Simplistic breakdown, and bad data/misclassifications.

It's cool as far as it goes. But Morningstar just divides things up into 9 styles of equities. Let me ask you: What percentage of your investments are in real estate or REITs? What percent are in commodities? Try this out, create an X-ray of 100% PIMCO CommodityRealReturn Strategy fund (ticker PCRIX).

If you wanted to develop an asset allocation of 25% large cap value, 25% small cap value, 25% REITs and 25% short-term bonds, could this X-ray tool help you get there?

Back
Top Bottom