move and fire

perinova

Full time employment: Posting here.
OK. so the start-up I [-]am[/-] was working for has decided to part with me. Not much of a severance other than 1 month health insurance (big one).

I am pretty sure I have enough money to retire but not in the SF bay area where the rent is a huge drain. I diligently put money aside to fire later next year.

Some of you may have been in this scenario before? Without making a rash decision it seems to me a priority to give notice and look for another place before the money to fire is not there any more :).

Have you self moved or used a mover to conserve $?

Thanks for the input.
Perinova.

If your retirement will not be possible after a few months of elevated rent that to me isn't secure retirement. Is this a plan you had before or is this a gut reaction?

To me doesn't sound like you have thought this through rigorously enough to make a decision.

To me doesn't sound like you have thought this through rigorously enough to make a decision.

Yes and no.
You are right I haven't thought of this rigorously. Since the event just happened but my plan was to Fire next year.
I am above my 1st 'pull the trigger is possible' limit but was planning to wait for my 'Nirvana' limit which I wanted to reach end next year. There is $250k difference between those Two.

Moving was always the intention since COL around here is very high.

$250K difference is $10K per year at 4%. Can you survive on $10k less per year? Can you make up for the lost income some other way?

P.S. - Yes, I have self moved. In 1989, the young wife and I moved from Cleveland, OH to Connecticut. We packed everything ourselves, rented the largest sized U-haul truck, and unpacked everything here in CT. It was way cheaper than a commercial mover. BUT, I was 30 years old and fully capable of lifting and hoisting all the furniture and boxes. I would not try to do it today.

Last edited:
...........Have you self moved or used a mover to conserve $?............Perinova.

I just moved 2300 miles cross country. I packed my own boxes, paid local guys to load my stuff into a ABF UPack trailer and then paid other local guys to unload it at my destination. It was less costly than renting a UHaul truck and I didn't have to drive it nor gas it. Much cheaper than hiring a big moving company.

I just moved out from SF Bay this summer to a suburb of Atlanta. I did most of the packing myself, then used a local mover to load the boxes as well as pack the heavy furniture onto a Upack trailer. At the destination, I used a local mover to unload. You can easily get a Upack quote online.

Have you considered how much of your stuff is worth saving? You might be better off not to haul that 10 year old sofa the cat scratched or the chair that never was as comfortable as it seemed in the store. . .

Have you considered how much of your stuff is worth saving? You might be better off not to haul that 10 year old sofa the cat scratched or the chair that never was as comfortable as it seemed in the store. . .

We ran the numbers for moving the belongings for one of our adult kids and it didn't seem worth it to move used furniture since it was so easy to replace gently used furniture from estate sales, thrift shops and new items from Ikea (for things with stuffing like a new mattress). We just moved what would fit into our cars and shipped some high value items like sports equipment.

Last edited:
Ok, so we have moved 3 times in the last 18 months. First move involved selling the 3200 sq. ft. house and moving 150 miles for one year to provide free child care for our DD and SIL. Cost to move ourselves via uhaul was $550. Had a full size van with largest trailer they rent in tow. Next move was from Georgia to Oregon from a rental house to an apartment with largest Penske truck with car carrier and pets. Total cost of self move was $3300. Included 2 hours of hiring college student at $40/hr to get the big stuff (piano, etc.). Stayed in apartment for 5 months, bought a house the same size as the one we sold and rented a Uhaul truck. New house was only 2 miles from the apt. So most all of the small stuff, boxes etc... we moved with our minivan. Then we rented a smaller truck to get furniture, piano etc... Total cost of move #3 was - drum roll please..........$60. Niece who lives here helped us with the unloading. I'm 63, but in decent enough shape to lift heavy items and don't mind sweating. I figure with all those self-moves we have saved at least $20,000. That's not chump change...... except to Bill Gates.

$250K difference is $10K per year at 4%. Can you survive on $10k less per year? Can you make up for the lost income some other way?

I don't think I can make $10k less a year since that is already a thrifty calculations. The $250k difference is due to early ongoing payments of college for DS. Without the $250k the capital is eaten early but recovers past SS.

Maybe I have to find some short termw*rk.

Thanks for the personal experiences about moving.

I just looked at Upack and it is definitely a good bargain and alternative to Uhaul (which I have also used about 25 years ago). And yes the heavy furniture is most of the troublesome - extra help needed there.

It seems it may take about Three months to implement from the initial idea to the actual move. I can pick-up and go on a dime but DW it's another story :).

We moved using U-Haul. On their web site are links to companies where you live, and where you are moving to that you can hire to help you load and unload. You just drive the truck between.

In your shoes, I would find a job and stick it out locally until you have passed the $250k hurdle. I would want to control the when and where of the move, and have that extra $10k a year when I got there.

Another vote here for U-Pack. We moved across country (north to south). We too hired local movers on each end to load/unload. As someone else mentioned, we sold/donated A LOT before the move and chose to furnish the new house after we got here, which really cut down on moving costs.

We moved ourselves in our 20s. Great time. Last year we used International Van Lines, please DON'T!

They quoted a price as an estimated cost. The real cost, only announced after the truck was loaded was 50% higher! The funds were backed by cashiers checks at our destination they refused to accept it, insisting cash only! Multiple things were stolen, some boxes had zero packing....

The beauty of UPack trailers is that you pay by the linear foot used, then install a moveable bulkhead. They pack the rest with commercial goods. If you get rid of bulky furniture and pack the trailer smartly to the top, it holds a lot of boxes per foot of trailer used. Also they don't weigh it like commercial movers, who use this as a trap to bump the charge after it is too late to back out.

Last edited:
I just moved 1530 miles cross country. I moved a lot of my stuff with my trucks and trailers, especially the heavier things. I did use house movers for the house items since I had done a lot already. Little more money, but they did a great job (United Movers).

I have also used ABF U-pack in the past. Hired some day labor help to load and unload. As travelover said it is based on how many ft of the trailer you use and distance. Not weight. U-pack also does the pod type, but the trailer is the best way to save money.

Whether you do the U-haul/Penske or something more, it will take time and money. Moving is always a hassle. Plenty of people move from high COL area to a lower COL area for retirement. People also move for many other reasons.

......... Hired some day labor help to load and unload........
It doesn't take much smarts to unload, but loading for a long distance move is somewhat of an art, if you value what is being moved. I hired real movers to pack, unskilled labor to unpack.

Back
Top Bottom